I don't get it...............

purdygood

I don't get how to adjust the light on a critters eyes and then shoot before he moves or looks away.

I went out last night for an hour and either called one coyote in twice or called in two coyotes and couldn't get a shot off.
I kept getting him to stop and look at me then when I found him in my scope he was on the move again.This was at 100 yds and closer.

I was solo and had my light (red lens 1,000,000) on a camera tripod ,I would halo the coyoteand keep having to adjust on him and not get the shot.

What was I doing wrong?

Maybe I am just old and slow
biggrin.gif

------------------
Ray
"Any bad day huntin' is bettern any good day workin'"

"If they run they will only die tired"

That's just too hard to do, I think. It would be nice if they would just stand still in the light until you get lined out on 'em. They're just not that cooperative most of the time. Here's a hint I saw on another board:
Get a piece of Hi density foam. Cut it about 3" long X 1" thick X 2" high. Glue it to the top of the light. Cut a notch for your gun barrel to rest in on top of the foam. You gettin' the picture? I ought to draw it up, but I'm too lazy. Anyway, hold the light like you would hold the forearm of the gun or rest the round part of the light on your shooting rest. Keep the light lined up with your line of sight through the scope. If you don't have a scope mounted light, this really works well. It helps you track those critters when they're on the move and you just stay on 'em with the light and the gun.

Oh, yeah! It's cheap, too.

Songdogger,

Thanks for that idea.I had thought about flattening out a piece of 3/4" conduit and drilling a hole in it then puttining it between my light and the tri-pod.I also thought about putting some foam insulation around it.

The bar would be out to the side of my light but I think i would be able to track a critter and still keep him in my sites and light that way.

Thanks again. Us poor boys have poor ways(I think it is called Southern engineerin')
biggrin.gif

------------------
Ray

[This message has been edited by purdygood (edited 02-20-2002).]

One more idea. Have you tried using a squeaker to get them to stop? This works for me except once when instead of stopping he just charged and ended up 6' from me in a clump of willows. Never even got a shot.
snoman

I have a shooting chair similar to some posted by members on this forum.....I have a spotlight mounted with the clamp portion of a Hoppe's benchvise(used for holding the reciever end of gun) it comes with a snap in style bracket for easy removal I adjust the light for halo use and to solve the problem you are having I mounted a Brinkman marine light above it and mounted toggle switches for both where my gun rest is......when I see there eyes click new bright spot.. hope this helps....sorry about the length.

Randy is right shooting with both eyes open will help but this takes some mastering when you have always closed one eye. I like to keep a 12 gauge with buckshot handy for some of those that come in close enough!

------------------
Don't miss!

Thanks for all the opinions .I have taken a few into account and even applied one(the foam on my light).I have been praticing shooting my rifle with both eyes open(I just never though to use both of them at night DUH!).I keep my scatter gun close at hand whenever I go yote hunting .This last time I was even packing my GLOCK 19,Just in case I had one come in close enough for it.
I am going out again tonight and try to put all that I have learned from this board up to this point and apply it to some yotes
smile.gif

I will let you all know what my results are. Good or bad.

------------------
Ray

Back