Weekend Hunt

Rusty--good going on those coyotes. Did you open up the stomach to check the contents and see if they, in fact, had been lunching on cows/calves?

What method/technique do you use to hold both the spotlight and the rifle and shoot all at the same time? I saw a picture of the spotlight one caller uses that had some foam padded ears glued onto the top of it that the shooter rested his rifle forearm in. Seemed like a nice setup.

Rusty--those coyotes are survivors. They will eat most anything that comes along, as you have probably discovered. Several years ago, I made a bad shot and hit a young coyote in the gut. Finally put him out of his misery and took some time to study the contents of his stomach, etc. He had remains of snakes (garden variety), safflower seeds (an oil crop up here in ND), grasshoppers, mice, brush rabbits, grass, little sticks, and feathers (don't know what bird, probably grouse or hen pheasant feathers) in his stomach.

Thanks for the comeback on your setup. It sounds like you have a real good system worked out there. The old pointy PVC pipe would never work here in North Dakota. You would have to use dynamite to make a hole to put the pipe in the frozen ground. That might have a tendency to scare away the critters that were within a mile of your calling site.

[This message has been edited by Silverfox (edited 02-11-2002).]

Great take on the yotes Rusty!!

Randy C.and I were going to some new territory Saturday night with little notice.

I just gave you a call to see if you had any plans, but I forgot you were gonna be out this weekend.

We went to a ranch located on the Mustang draw, and happened to call in two bobcats. Two shots-no kills. This draw is huge!! But the wind had em all boogered. Mine came in within 5 min of Randys callin. He called with the mini blaster and believe or not that darn wind was blowin'too hard to hear it. So he started tearin' up calls to find what would worked best. He took my JS CH-1 apart and used the funnel and put it at the end of my mini blaster and man that thing got out there! I was suprised. That cat wouldve never came in without that.

He came in and circled us twice and parked it behind a big mesquite, where I finally took the shot and missed.

Sorry to ramble, I just wanted to sink back into my depression.
smile.gif
We'll give er a shot another time.

BTW, how was the wind up there? Had to be bad.

Take care...

Nice job on the coyotes Rusty great story also!!!!

------------------
Take a few coyotes and a High Chair and woman that can run an AR15 and you have it all!!!!

David Neff

Back