22-.250 scope recomendation

bner21

I tried the search for this and couldn't find what I was looking for. So, I have just bought a 22-250 now I need a scope. I have been to a couple of different stores and have gotten different opinions. I am very green at anything to do with rifles. I am looking to keep it under $400. I have heard about and looked through Nikon, Bushnell, Sightron, Weaver and Leupold. What I would like to know is an unbiased opinion (not trying to profit from) on which would be my best route to go with a scope purchase. I appreciate any and all info. Thanks.

WOW - you are asking for a feeding frenzy!!!

I would suggest you get with some shooters who have different scopes and try them at the range or hunting and under different light conditions. Most scopes look bright in the store or sun, but at sunset you will see the difference.

Recently, I have been impressed by the Grand Slams from weaver. I have shot several and bought one a couple of weeks ago. They are in that range ($350 at Natchez). The Burris signature series is excellent, but a little more unless you buy used.

Ultimately, buy the best one you can afford AND that works for your eyes. Each person sees things a little differently when they look through a scope.

Just a couple of questions, is this a heavy barrel varmint gun used mainly varmint shooting from a bench. A sporter weight carry gun used mainly for predator calling or sporter weight combo rig, (some varmints, some predators). I would say that if it's a heavy barrel, bench gun used mainly for shooting small varmints, go for something in the 6-20X or 6-24X. Calling gun, 3-9X is plenty and a combination gun maybe a 4-12X or 4-16X. lots of choices here. Weaver's, Nikon's, Bushnell's 3200 and 4200 series, Burris, Leupold, etc. All are good, some are better, just depends on how deep your pockets are.

For example, I have two 22-250's, one custom built heavy barrel rig with a 6-20 Weaver Grand Slam and the other a Tikka T3 Lite with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X. Very happy with both. But I could just as easily get by with a 3-9X on the Tikka if I choose to go that way because this is mainly a coyote, calling gun.

for a calling rifle, a 3-9 power scope is good

Bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40 or Leupold VXI 3-9x40

both good scopes for your budget

For an affordable priced scope with good glass quality I would go with a Mueller. Not to may people have heard about them. I just picked one up from Dennis at Mizzou Mule Guns http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id16.html

The 4-16x50 has an illuminated reticle and he will ship it to your door for $220. Nothin but the best for customer service. My buddy has one on his AR and loved it so I gave it a shoot. Best scope for the price you pay in my opinion.

There are many possibilities. I see you are out west so longer shots may be more common. I would look at a 4.5-14 power with an adjustable objective. A leupold vx-3 is about $500, a compareable Nikon Monarch should be a less. A good 3-9 would also get you by.

bner: I just removed a Leupold 4-12x from my calling rifle and replaced it with a Leupold 2-7x because the field of view was too small and it was costing me coyotes (I've got to get better at stopping those dogs!). I love Leupolds. They have outstanding warranty and customer service. Regardless of the make, take FOV into account. It will save you some bucks in the long run!

There are lots of good scopes. I decided on Leupold for my Winchester featherweight because of overall length, weight and eye relief. Probably the smartest buy I ever made. I have a VXII 4x12x40 with a mil-dot. They were never advertised but available when I bought mine. The above poster has a good point about FOV, I used to have a 2x7 on another rifle and what I liked about it was you could aim with both eyes open but I can on 4x with mine also. I trained myself to start sighting down the top line of my scope and when I brought my eye down I would usually be on target, admittedly not as sure in hunting situations with pressure. Personally I usually wind up wishing I had more power but everyone is different, especially when it comes to scopes. In your price range I would recommend a Leupold like mine for a calling gun and a VXII 6x18 Target for the longer range at reasonably stationary targets. One like mine without the MD is a little under 400. and the 6x18 a little over. I have a Meuller 8.5 x 25 x 44 MD and a Sightron SII 4x16x4? MD, both are pretty good scopes but to my eyes don't compare with my Leupold. In all fairness I have heard the opposite from other shooters though. HTH lp

Thanks for the info guys, well maybe(even more choices now). I have a Stevens 200 that I will be using as a combo gun I guess. So I was kind of leaning toward something around roughly 3x roughly 18. As Duck mentioned would be a good scope for a combo gun. I have roughly $400 to spend but I don't have to spend it. Or should I spend at least that much?

Jack a search did turn up a lot. Everything that had 22-250 and the word scope in it. That is a whole lot of info to browse through.

Thanks again everybody.

Back