Comments on Dykem Red Layout Fluid

Neffquail

I Picked up a can of spray on dykem red layout fluid at Grainger Industrial supplies, was kind of skeptical at first. Brought it home and had an old square face spotlight and took and sprayed 1 coat let dry for 5-10 minutes then sprayed another coat and this stuff just keeps getting deeper and redder with every coat and the neat thing is the glass lense stays just clear as it can be but very red. Needless to say I have 2 of my hunting lights coated and my K.C. lights on the front of the truck and I love it. friday night when me and rusty went hunting the coyote that came in did not seem to mind the light at all and sunday night the 3 males and 1 that got away didn`t mind the light at all, just my conclusion but the red filters seem to bother them more. plan on doing alot more testing to see. I think you get a lot deeper red color that doesn`t distort the light as much as a red filter lense.

P.S. If I would have used this stuff before buying the K.C. lights I would have never bought them, I would have bought some of the clear headlight covers and painted them and saved about 150 dollars.

------------------
It`s not the size of the weapon, it`s the force of attack.
David Neff

[This message has been edited by Neffquail (edited 02-04-2002).]

David's right. That Dykem dries to a crystal clear, deep red finish and doesn't seem to lessen the intensity of the beam. I could actually look through the Dykem coating and see the filaments within the bulb of the spotlight. Needless to say, I was impressed. I thinks it's quite an improvement over those plastic lens covers that fade and get cloudy with time.

I mostly use a light with a red lens but I have discovered an alternative to the Dyken fluid (in Wal-Mart).

Go to Wal-Mart's craft section and look for "Delta" Transparent Glass Paint. It's available in Red. Also pick up "Delta" Glass Surface Conditioner.

I have done 2 Spotlights and have 1/2 of the bottle left.

I tried "painting" the lens first with a brush but realized that it would take several coats. Finally just poured the paint on the lens and let it dry thick.

Price of the paint and a large 1,000,000 12 volt light was less than 10 bux.

i was just asking Tommy today if he knew where i could get a replacement lens for my q-beam and he told me about that Dykem stuff. sounds pretty good and if you guys like it im sure i will too. BTW, how much was it? and how much do i have to buy to do a q-beam?
thanks for posting this, it saved me from getting another red lens that'll just end up scratched like the other one did.

------------------
Randy C

Here in my small town, I could not find the spray on so I had to buy the brush on Dykem. Was very concerned originally as I thaught there would be brush marks! Put it on heavy and let it dry. Man was I ever suprised!!! That stuff layed out perfectly on the light. Not a single brush mark!!Color is deep red and crystal clear. Thank you guys for the tip!!!!

Randy a spray can of it costs about 8 bucks and i coated a total of 5 lights and still have about 3/4 can left.

------------------
It`s not the size of the weapon, it`s the force of attack.
David Neff

I use the saran warp they have with the rubber band on it to cover bowls with. It fits on my spot light just right and you can put more or less on it when need. it`s nice to be able to change the tint when you have to or need too. It`s made to with stand the heat so it won`t melt.

Alaskan Critter, Try the dykem and you will never go back. All other means of coloring the light just suck after dykem. You just can't explain it. It's like the glass is just red crystal.

Question: What happens when you have a set of eyes hung up at 3 to 400 yds, won't budge and you are not sure if it's a cat or a deer???After a long time, he's still out there. You can pop the lens off and use the white light to identify the critter...that's why I stick with a red lens. Besides, it seems to work ok for us. Randy

------------------

http://predatormasters.com/varmint_masters.html

In answer to Randy`s question I always keep a white light plugged in just below my quail seats for that purpose, usually have 2 people in back of truck at all times and if not just don`t shoot unless sure of target.

P.S. not knocking the red lense covers but the quality of the red light is much better with the dykem than with the filter.

------------------
Take a few coyotes and a High Chair and woman that can run an AR15 and you have it all!!!!

David Neff

[This message has been edited by Neffquail (edited 02-14-2002).]

Same as Neff. I shine with the 200k light and use the 400k white light for ID when they hang up. I also shine that white light before I leave a dry stand. Some of this wide open ranch land is just too big to see everything with the red light. If you can't tell with that bright spot, he's just too danged far to shoot.
I just like the dykem, I think it's purty!

Back