Diff. b'ween blind box & hinge floor plate?

walleyeman

Sorry people about my ignorance. I am not up to snuff on the types of magazines there are. At least I am not sure about the proper names. All of my rifles have clips or what I think are technically called detachable magazines. Can someone tell me what is a blind box and a hinge floor plate?

Thanks and sorry about the lame question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

A detachable magazine is exactly what you think - a clip that can be reomved from the gun. A hinged floor plate means that when you want to unload the gun you swing open the bottom (floor plate) and all the bullets basically fall out. A blind box means you can't swing the bottom floor plate out and it doesn't have a removeable magazine - basically you have to fish each one out the action in the reverse of the way they went in. Of the three, my favorite by a long shot is the detachable magazine but a lot of guns that I like aren't available with that as an option.

Well, in simple terms... a blind box has no floor plate, or a fixed decorative floor plate, ahead of the trigger guard. You load it from the top, and you unload it one shell at a time with the bolt. A hinged floor plate will open at the trigger guard, and stay hinged at the upper end, allowing you to unload your loaded rounds from the bottom.

No such thing as a lame question. A blind box magazine is one that's not visible from the bottom of the gun. It's entirely internal to the stock, and the rifle is loaded and unloaded from the top.

The hinge floor plate magazine is "built in" the same as a blind box, but the bottom of it (the floor plate) is visible, and hinges down from the bottom of the stock, allowing the ammo to be easily unloaded (all over the ground sometimes, lol).

As long as we're talking proper names, none of them are "clips", though we all use the term. A clip is used to load a magazine, as in a "stripper clip".

Browning version is a hinge plate with magazine = no spilled ammo all over the ground including under the truck at night!
Why I leave my rem at home.

I concur with uper - Browning has the best set-up in this category. The magazine swings out of the way and stays attached to the floor plate or can be popped off and stuck in your pocket. I just wish Browning had a little more variety in their stock options - I like a raised cheek piece (which they don't offer in too many models) and a slightly wider foregrip. If I could just retro fit my Rem LVSF with a Browning DM I would have the perfect carrying gun.

About 20 years ago on a pack trip for elk, I learned the difference between a hinged floor plate rifle and a blind magazine rifle.

A hinged floor plate rifle is the one that the floor plate won't stay closed after a horse leans against your horse and the rifle scabbard holding your hinged floor plate rifle. The occurence springs the floor plate and it won't stay shut without duck tape.

A blind magazine rifle is the back-up rifle you brought along and used for the rest of the 10 day pack trip.

Since that experience, I have been a firm believer in blind magazine rifles for hard condition hunting. The hinged floor plate is just one more thing that's not neededed and can fail in those situations.

Also, since then I've seen two other drop floor plate magazine rifles have the floor plate fail under less than ideal circumstances.

For vehicle hunting where you're maybe in and out a few times during the day, the drop floor plate is OK, but I've really become fond of blind magazines, even on several custom rifles that I have.

JMO - BCB

I saw an ad in either Cabelas or Midway for a removable mag. conversion for Rems. Another company used to make one.
I like Blind and drop plate magazines. I cant lose the detachable magazine that way!!LOL
and last IMHO the Browning design is the worst.
Carl

Thanks for clearing that up. I want a rifle that I can use on setups as well as for just taking along in the truck when cusing the back roads. A detachable magazine would be the best for me but I can not seem to find one in .204 cal. . Is Tikka the only manufacturers of such a rifle? What about the new 2007 models, is there a new version coming that might fit this bill?

HS precision and Badger Ordnance make replacement bottom metal for remington rifles in the detachable mag version. I have the HS on all of my calling rifles and love it. It is a little costly but very well made. You can also get four and ten round mags for them.

Back