yakima training center

once you go through the required training to legally enter the hunting is good, you have the benefit of being near the main entrance because you need to sign in and out through that gate. I have called on the boundaries near Ellensburg and done well. Good luck and have fun

Are you refering to the Yakima Firing Center? Please elaborate about the "proper training". Thnx. I've been curious what the YFC public relationship was.

Fort Lewis and Yakima have the same rules. Yakima is easier to get to the building as you can see it from the gate, Ft. Lewis you gota get a pass at the gate and go to the recreation center.
You have to watch a 20 min. or so video.
Take: Current hunting license
make model serial # of gun, color, barrel length make model etc. car and registration and proof of insurance.
picture ID.
DO NOT CARRY A HANDGUN, PERMIT OR NOT!!!!! State permit is NO GOOD on base.

They give you a good map and you gotta call in/check in, etc.
Once you do all this stuff: Use the gun you check in!!!!!
have all the ID proof of Insurance etc. WITH you.

At Yakima the folks were/are really nice, at Ft. Lewis the folks on base are great, some of the MP's out patrolling have really got the "head up the butt" disease. THEY have powers and authority well beyond ANY civilian police, do not mess with them.
People have had cars seized over a tail light out!!! Entire families, with permits, pulled out of the car and forced to lay in the muddy road for an hour. Two under cover county sherriff deputies ended up in a "stand-off" guns drawn dispute with MP's.

Follow all the rules and it is a good place to have available. Lots of people hunt it with no problems at all. I live right next to the Ft. Lewis training area.
Carl

"Two under cover county sherriff deputies ended up in a "stand-off" guns drawn dispute with MP's."

Well that doesn't sound like the smartest decision in the world............

I agree, that is apparently what it took to get the County Sherrif, MP Commander and local PD, into some meetings, to figure out how to do security and deal with the public. See here at Ft. Lewis, the majority of the reservation is not fenced and public roads go through it. So it is a bit unusual.
I am glad the Sherrif Deputies were experienced and well trained, two 20 year old MPs with virtually no training and no experience, well things could have been really nasty.

Congrats on your Daughter!!

Carl

Back