where to zero 17 hmr

mkeller72

I bought myself a savage model 93 bull barrel 17 hmr with the accu-trigger today. My question is where should I sight in at 100 yards, dead on, 2" high?

I would say 1-2 inches high. I have found it to be dead on out to 175 yds and then drops off fast. Group it at 100 and 175 and see which works best.

Mine is 3" high @ 100, and that leaves me 4" low at 200. You need to check at both ranges for your particular ammo. I have found that after 125 yards, some HMR ammo will fall off quicker than others. But 3" high is a good starting point.

Quote:
Get you a BSA Sweet 17 scope and sight it in at 100 and adjust the top turret and you set all the way out to 300 yards.

Mark, that's a good scope. And the drop compensator is a good theory. But there is quite a difference in the trajectories between the 17gr and 20gr loads. If the scope works well for the load you are using, then you already got a hand up.

FWIW, I zeroed mine so that I could shoot at the 200 yard range also. BUT.....past 125 yards or so these things are only good for punching paper, or for game small enough that you can stick them in your pocket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here are test results showing the trajectories of different HMR loads as well as .22LR and .17M2.

I think this will answer the original question............

17hmrdp2.jpg

I set up for a 3" PBR and that takes me to about 175 yards with my Marlin.

OTOH, I set it for a 6" PBR for deer and elk allowing shots out to 275 yards without holdover.

The HMR is great for tiny targets and small vermin and to sight in more than 1" high @ 100 is treating it like a 300 yard centerfire for coyotes.

Sight in dead on at 100 and from 25-125 those tiny sparrows and starlings are in trouble. No guessing where to hold under your target when it is 85 yards away, just a simple trigger squeeze and "poof" they are gone.

I am kinda curious as to what you are shooting at those distances with a .17 HMR? Anything 100 and out has to be pretty small for a clean kill to say the least?

Would have to say dead on at 100 and then check it at 50 and 25.

Steve, of course, is absolutely correct. I sight mine at dead nuts zero at 100, and call it good. I can't imagine shooting at anything much more that sage rats the other side of a hundred?
If dead on at a 100, even the odd jackrabbit at 150 would be in danger,if the crosshairs where held right on top of its shoulder.

I am still looking at purchasing a 17HMR but if I had one it would only be for shooting gophers out to 100 yards max I will have my 223 for anything further. Which is why I own the 223.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So to answer your question I would depending on how flat the bullet shoots out to 100 yards even consider sighting it in at 75 yards. At the most I want to hit 1/2" low at 100 yards.

Quote:
I am kinda curious as to what you are shooting at those distances with a .17 HMR? Anything 100 and out has to be pretty small for a clean kill to say the least?

We routinely shoot our HMRs at 200 yards. At paper mostly , of course. BUT.....I plan on shooting prairie dogs with mine during the first part of the shoots before the dogs get wise to us. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with knowing your weapons trajectories at longer yardages. Would I shoot a coyote @ 200 with it? I wouldn't even consider it! Even a hit wouldn't be anything to brag about, considering the inhumane death that it would probably incur.

I know the killing limits of ALL my guns, and like I said before... shooting anything but paper, or animals that will fit in your pocket isn't smart past 125 yards with this caliber.

Here is a chart for your evaluation. The mil-dot settings are for a scope that has spacings 3.6" at 10X.

With a 100 yd zero you can pretty much shoot dead on at anything out to 125 yars which is the killing range of a 17HMR.

Mildot17hmr.jpg

Back