Winchester 3.5" #4 Buckshot

outdoorsjoe222

I was thinking about buying the Winchester 3.5" #4 Buckshot for my coyote shotgun and I was wondering if anyone is using them and had any input on them? They are like 200 fps slower than the 3", but they have 54 pellets.

Only your shotgun and choke can tell you how good they are. All barrels and chokes are different so what works well for me may, or may not, work well for you. BTW, numbers of pellets isn't everything. It's how many strike where you need them that counts. And slower is going backwards IMHO.

I got nervous about the slower part. I was thinking about sticking with the Dead Coyote loads because its quicker, I do like bigger shot though. I started thinking of the physics of Energy using speed and mass, but then I remembered I'm thinking too much.

If I had Dead Coyote and it patterned well, then I wouldn't switch to a slower load of No. Four Buck that may not penetrate as well as the considerably higher velocity Hevi-Shot DC.

I think the winchester 3.5 inch #4 buck loads are unplated to if I'm correct and that will hurt your patterns and penatration. If the dead coyote is working stick with it unless you hunt alot then it can get expensive.

I hunt alot, but unfortunately don't have to shoot alot. After thinking about it some more, Im going to pattern the 3.5" DeadCoyote -vs- 3" #4 buckshot. I think the 3.5" buckshot isn't worth it.

My guns are chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. I have paterned 2 3/4" federal perminum shells Results factory full patterned best to 40-45 yards-tighter chokes seem to blow patterns. overbored barrel gave most even patterns.

Hand loads for fox or close shots use #2 buckshot

Back