Thompson Center R-55????

msinc

Anyone out there got any feedback on this rifle in 17 Mach II???? How is it made quality wise??? How about the trigger, 14 pounds like everything else???? Thinking about the stainless synthetic version with night vision for fox. Thanks in advance.

I will let you know after Christmas. The wife is out right now as I type picking up the T/C R-55 Benchmark for me for a Christmas present. She told me I can mount a scope on it before Christmas, but can't shoot it until Christmas day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Looks like Christmas day I won't be sitting on the couch letting the ham settle in my stomach---will be burning a bunch or 17 mach II shells up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

i got one in the blued laminated version. It took me a long time to warm up to the mach II cause i could see no reason why i should have one over the HMR. anyway the reason was to have it in a auto like a 10/22 with more zip. After i got it and the blackbirds were migrating through the woods where i live I found the reason was to have a auto in a zippy little round to make blackfeather abound. The trigger is a bit heavy but livable, not easy to rework. the whole gun needed to be shot a bit to break it in (about 200 rds), but the accuracy is great and up to at least 100 yds, those blackbirds were in great danger of bodily harm. The workmanship is definately above ruger 10/22 levels, and I do like steel receivers rather than aluminum. biggest drawback is the 5 round mag. I wish they could have used the 10/22 mag. once of the butler creek 25 rounders would have made a helofalot more black feathers. the mag is cast zinc (not ferrous anyway) and while midway showed having a 10 round one available it wasn't. the round does make a sharp enough crack that ear muffs are desireable, but maybe not totally necessary if you're only going to squeeze off a round or 2. all in all I'm pretty satisified with the whole package, my only wish would be to work over the trigger a bit, which I may try to do over the winter.

Thompson/Center list a 10 round magazine in their catalog as an optional accessory. They also list the scope bases. I ordered both with the rifle about ten minutes ago. I guess i will find out and give a report back in a few days.

I was looking at one in a gun shop and it was indeed a handsome little rifle, but this was in .22 long rifle, I read a review in Field & Stream by Petzal and he loved the little rifle. I'd say get it and have fun!

I have the R-55 all weather in 17 mach-2. The rifle is well
made but heavy in stainless with that little 17 cal hole.

Fuctioning and feeding were 100%, except you must watch for the first round being stripped from the magizine gets shaved going into the chamber and always hit 1 + inches high for the first shot. With the ten round magizine or loading just 4 in the 5 round magizine should eliminate this problem. The .17 is a %^$# to clean from the barrel
end...a lot of push and pull.

I have 4 of the T/C classic or R-55 rifles and they are
in the box what most people spend to trick out Ruger 10/22's.

IMO the best 22 made today..super accurate barrels and excellent factory service. My Sons 22 classic jammed and T/C sent him a new gun.

Check out the T/C forum on Rimfirecentral.com about trigger jobs. I'd be willing to be dollars to donuts that someone on that forum has licked the problem! Good luck!--- Mike

Back