Interesting Fox Call/Whistle

YetiHunter

I was playing around on the web searching fox calls and this "WAM fox call" keeps popping up along with a similar looking call called the Aussie Button Whistle. Has anyone ever played with these calls?? They seem to be pretty popular in the UK for fox, I didnt know how they would work in the states. I guess a fox is a fox but if thats the case why no talk of these calls on here?

Quote:
I guess a fox is a fox but if thats the case why no talk of these calls on here?

Because it's a secrete. They don't have much volume, but they make a great close range call and coaxer.

If you happen to obtain one of those Aussie Button Whistles, make sure you don't swallow it. I don't know from personal experience, but have heard they are hard to get to pass completely thought your digestive system and you might wind up whisteling from the wrong end and have coyotes and fox attack you from the rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

AussieButtonWhistle.jpg

Weasel is correct about the lack of volume, but they do work as a coaxer. I think that coyotes and fox have such good hearing that they will hear this whistle from many hundreds of yards away if the wind isn't blasting too hard.

I’ve tried the whistle with mixed results. Am not sure how I would rate it. I like starting the stand with it when it’s very quiet out, then moving on from there to louder calls if I get no response. I see (Eddiev) on this forum uses it quite a bit with great success in Australia.

Has anybody found a place to order the Aussie Fox Whistle on-line? I've got a couple, but a friend in Australia sent them to me. I've seen where you could order WAM, Tenterfield and George ??????? I forget the last part of the name whistles from U.K. sites, but haven't seen where you could order the Aussie's.

Thanks for the responses, I might have to get one to try. thats just what I need, another call /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...
Weasel, I remember seeing a pile of them on ebay not too long ago. Might be able to find it there.
Thanks again guys.

you can get em on ebay for a couple bucks. I use it for red fox here in pa as a starter call. if you suck in on it and cup your hands around it you get more volume. I have had dogs bark at it from 500yds away on farms I call. if dogs can here it a fox or coyote can here it. here is a link to ebay for one. I suggest that you buy more then one. mainly to offset shipping costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aussie-Button-Whistl...1QQcmdZViewItem

g'day i'm in oz and have used the button whistle to call plenty of foxes.we only have reds over here.it does lack a bit of volume but it does get em in.i've just ordered a fx3 and can't wait to give that a go.if you think their expensive over there spare a thought for me having to get it shipped over here,not to mention the $ exchange rate.only reason i could convince my wife is i've sold plenty of mounts (fox hare-jackrabbit and cottontail)on ebay to finance the fx3.its great to be able to say that the new rifle,new blind and the fx3 are TOOLS OF THE TRADE that i NEED not want.lol.if any of you guys need anything sent over that way just let me know.

i'll try and work out how to get some pics on here.i've just listed another rabbit on ebay to help pay for the fx3.search for taxidermy rabbit and look for the one that is swinging a shotgun and that will be mine.hope you don't consider this to be advertising if you do just take it of the post.i'm actually just a tyre fitter that plays around with these mounts for some money for more& more&and more toys oops i meant tools.

I have seen these sold here in the USA as a squirrel distress call. When the trees are still leafy you can call squirrels right out of the tops as they want to see whats going in. It helps to use a switch and thrash the ground, brush, etc a bit too. Never thought of using it as a coaxer though.

These look just like the Mr. Squirrell calls made by Haydel's. i have used one to call in plenty of squirrels and birds but have not called in any predators with it. i have seen the WAM and Aussie button whistle but would like to know if they have a different sound to them than the Mr. Squirrel.

Back