bullet weight for 1/10 twist 30-06 - quick answer please

royta

It's time to finish up the stock on my Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 30-06. If it is an original stock, it had a recoil pad installed by the original owner, so I won't lose any sleep over refinishing the stock.

Anyway, I pushed an oiled patch down the barrel and determined it is a 1 in 10 twist. According to to Shilen, a 1 in 10 twist is good for up to 220 grain bullets. I don't know if that is for 30-06 velocities or not.

I plan on getting back into big game hunting in the 2007 season, as I will be moving to Idaho this summer. I'll use this rifle for both deer and elk. I did a comparison of ballistics at Remington using their standard Exress Pointed Soft Point ammo in the 150, 165, and 180 grain bullets. See the chart. Out to 300 yards, the ballistics are so close they could be considered the same. I realize that 180 grains is pretty big for deer, but I'm wondering if I should just shoot 180's for everything, so I won't need to rezero when I change from a deer load to an elk load. Plus, like in the state of CO (at least in the 1990 2nd season), deer and elk are concurrent. You'd need to shoot a deer with your elk load anyway.

What do you think of all this? Just shoot 180's all the time? It sounds like a 1 in 10 twist at 30-06 velocities would prefer them.

Answer quick, because I'm going to order some ammo for the rifle tonight.

I use the 165 gr Nosler Part in my 30-06 for deer and elk . The last cow elk i shot , dropped in her tracks. It is hard to beat the 165 gr for the all around big game bullet weight in the 06 or 308. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a pre-64 M70 standard in "30gov't06". It shot everything from 110 grain bullets to 200 grain spitzers very well. Pick a bullet type and weight that is adequate for the largest game you'll use it on, if you don't want to re-sight in the rifle. I think I'd load some 168 grain Barnes TSX's or 180's in the same bullet, in a powder that works well with either bullet, in your rifle, and call it good....
F1

Thanks for the replies everybody. How do the Remington Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt bullets fare against elk? I'm not sure if I have any 30-06 brass, so I need to buy some ammo to get a brass supply. Of course, I don't shoot much 30-06, so it could take a LONG time before I got enough brass for reloading.

I can get 20 rounds of 30-06 PSP Core-Lokt for $14, so I thought this was the most economical factory ammo to buy.

Federal loads TSX's in the '06. They ain't cheap, but your ammo is the least expensive, yet one of the more important factors in a successful elk hunt. Many an elk has been killed with a Remington CoreLokt bullet, but I'd shoot at least 180's. I'd buy the TSX's and go a little lighter...less drop at distance and they kill well. There's no flies on NPT's either!
F1

for a quick answer, choose a good 180 gr bullet and put it in the right spot and you'll take home pretty much anything in the USA.

My 1 in 10 twist 30 cals. shoot bullets from 110 to 168 very well. Don't let this twist thing get you in a bind. Usually don't mean squat in real shooting unless you get into speciality bullets.

I would use a 165 for everything and be done with it. Also, Rem ammo would be the last thing on my list.

Back