New Steyr

To add a few details. From what I can tell, the new Pro-Varmint has a spiral-forged and fluted stainless 26"barrel with choice of a black or camo plastic stock, adjustable LOP, and two-stage trigger. Guns and Ammo reports it will be offered in .222, .223, .22-250, and .204. The SBS rifle has a unique stock design, safety, and magazine well-suited for stand-to-stand predator hunting.

The two-position magazine in the lower position allows you to cycle the bolt without picking up a shell, so you can mount the mag, drop a fifth shell in the ejection port, close the bolt, and then snap the magazine in the second position all the way up flush with the stock. My .243 loads and unloads 4+1 quickly and easily this way in the dark without fumbling for shells. I keep 4 in the mag and one in my shirt pocket and manage to load and unload in total darkness 20 times in a night without dropping too much stuff. The three-position safety, a plastic thumb wheel, lets you load or unload on safe as well as being extremely quiet, much quieter than most metallic safety switches.

By the way, Steyr uses standard Browning A-bolt scope bases and rings.

Steve, are you going to buy one as soon as they hit the market?

I have been shooting a 7x64 model M professional for more years than I can remember - topped with a 4X Zeiss, 5 round groups in 3.5" at 300 yards.

Thanks Steve,
Interesting forum - glad to be on board.
I recently sold a .308 SSG to my nephew, that gun shoots really good.
Mark

Back