sitting away from the caller

RustyShackleford

I am sure this has been brought up numerous times and I have my own thoughts on it but I have a hunting buddy who thinks differently than me and I am just wondering what yall think. Sorry if this has been done too many times already but I would appreciate any thoughts.

When night hunting, is it smart to set up a caller away from where you are running the spotlight and shooting? I would think if the animal is looking at the call, which is not where you are, you may never catch the eyes in the light. I don't see any sense in not sitting by the call but then again, there is a lot I don't know. What do yall think?

The animal really does need to be looking at you in order to see them looking back at you. You will even find that they may be looking right at you, but if the guy with the light is a little to your left or right, a foot even, you won't be able to see the eyes. Keep the caller right next to you and the light next to you and you'll increase your chances of seeing them.

That is great to hear. That is exactly what I have been saying but he doesn't believe me. Thanks for the input. I will get him on here for this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Calling and having the shooter next to the light is a definite necessity! The eyes only reflect the light back out in the direction to the source of the light. So, like jephs442 said, the difference of even a foot could matter in the other person seeing the eyes. But back the original question, I have found that the light serves as 2 key uses... (1) most importantly, camouflages the hunters and the truck/setup by blinding/blurring out his vision in that direction and (2) If the animal is focused near the light, it allows the hunter to easily spot the eyes!

Yep, caller light and shooter all on top of each other. when will buddies learn that we know everything????

Quote:
Yep, caller light and shooter all on top of each other. when will buddies learn that we know everything????

I'm still training mine. LOL. Of course, now that we agree on everything, maybe he trained me!!!

One guy I know that sets the foxpro out about 50 yards and spotlights from the back of the truck is supposed to be a very good hunter. He claims to be and for the business he is in should know more than that in my opinion. I don't guess he knows as much as he thinks he does but he wont listen to me.

supposed, claims... maybe he's not. I always keep the light within 3 feet. My arms length is about normal. Just because someone is "supposed " to be a good hunter, doesn't mean that he(or She)has the whole night thing figured out.That doesn't mean he is not a good hunter, but things really change after dark.

Back