Timberwolf affects on 'yotes, fox, and bobcat?

BrianC

I live up here in norther Minnesota and am wondering how our "healty" population of timberwolves affects coyotes, bobcats, and fox? Does the presence of timberwolves tend to push these smaller predators closer to civilization? I've heard timberwolves will not tolerate coyotes in their area, is this true? My buddy and I are trying to keep our hunting areas closer to populated areas, but are we missing the boat, by not hitting the big woods areas? Any info for this new predator hunter would be most appreciated!

Brian

I origionally hail from NE Oregon where we "dont have wolves", lol. All I can say is that one spot that has produced many coyotes for me had a "big dog" move in to the neighborhood, and the coyote hunting went to $hit. Im no mathmagician but that math adds up pretty good for me, but we dont have wolves in Oregon........Uh huh

I don't want to sound picky but there are actually no Timberwolves in Minnesota. There are only the common gray wolves in Minnesota but anyway... As from what I have heard there maybe some coyotes in the home ranges of wolves but not many at all. The wolves will keep the coyotes and fox out of there area and not stand for them being anywhere near them. This goes for other packs of wolves too because they are very territorial by nature. Wolves really don't like any other predators and you can't really blame them I guess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Timberwolves is just a generic term we use here. I realize there is different sub-species of wolves, depending where you are. Do you think the wolves will keep bobcats out of their area too? It seems around here, wolves will be in a certain area for about a week and then move on and come back a few weeks later. I'm going to concentrate my coyote and fox hunting closer to civilization and do my bobcat hunting in the big woods areas.

Brian

BrianC,
I have read articles where experts have found that wolves will push the coyotes around but tolerate the foxes. The wolves and fox hunt different prey but the coyotes and wolves overlap with their prey. Same thing with fox and coyotes, they eat the same things sometimes so they are competitive. The bigger animal wins, especially if they catch the smaller animal.
I don't believe this pertains to bobcats though since their populations in Minnesota have been tied to the levels of snowshow hares. They are also very elusive which helps them avoid bigger predators. Their ability to climb trees helps too.
Try to find more open areas to call coyotes and fox. It could be they won't respond in the woods due to the wolve presence in the area. They might respond in the open areas so they can see whats making the noise.
Where about in northern Minnesota are you? I hunt the Mille Lacs lake area.

Tac - Being from SD I thought you would have herd of the Minnesota Timberwolves. So there really are Timberwolves in MN. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
You will still have coyotes in wolf areas and you have fox in coyote areas, they just aren't as dense because of the bigger predators, there spread out much more.

What I have heard from a very knowledgeable man is the coyotes hang in the fringe areas, those not defended by a wolf pack, this area can vary in size and can also very in coyote densitys. No different than the fox does with the coyotes and also that is how they release swift fox, they radio collar the coyotes find there home ranges and defense of this area and do releases in between the defended territorys of coyotes, they don't all make it but has been proven as the best method for there survival. They also will hang in more open areas as well.

ADCcoyote,
You're right on. One would think you knew what you're talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

FlyingV,

I've seen your name on Fishing Minnesota too. I live in Deer River, west of Grand Rapids 15 miles, and hunt around here. I'm just getting into this sport and doing alot of surfing on these forums, hopefully shortening my learning curve!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brian

Quote:
I don't want to sound picky but there are actually no Timber wolves in Minnesota. There are only the common gray wolves in Minnesota but anyway...

Tac223,
You sound pretty sure about yourself but, everything I find tells me the Gray Wolf, also known as TIMBERWOLF, is alive and strong in MINNESOTA. Proving they are in fact called Timber wolves, even in Minnesota.

Check out the following links

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/er/factsheets/mammals/wolf.htm

or

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/mammals/dog/Graywolfprintout.shtml

Here is the first paragraph from the second link.

The Gray Wolf (also known as the Timber Wolf) is a wild dog that lives in packs (groups). Gray wolves that live in the treeless plains of the far north are called Tundra Wolves or Arctic Wolves. The gray wolf is a fast-running carnivore (meat-eater). After almost going extinct, it is now only found in Alaska, Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Good Luck,
-Ron

And we don't really have any coyotes in Minnesota either. They are "brush wolves". Just ask any oldtimer. They'll tell you........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I believe adc coyote is pretty right. there will be some but definetly less than if there were no wolves. but like he said there will be certain area that will be completely void(or very close to it) where they spend more time. This size will vary depending on the envirnment, etc.

Last edited:
I hear that the fox are in town and along the county roads now to avoid coyotes. The fox are more likely to be found in an open wheat field than a coyote, the yotes seem to like the rougher ground. Wolves?? There weren't any in the Bighorn Mountains, until one pulled a coyote getter!!!! OOPPPPPs I guess they will leave the Rocky Mountains!T.20

Coyotes have no fear of town. When I was first looking for a place to settle in Nevada, I lived in an apartment complex for 3 months and there were more coyotes in the parking lot there than I have ever seen in the more rural area I live in now.

Jack

The red foxes are definitley adapting to city life.
The Minneapolis Trib today had a picture of a beautiful red fox runing across a lake not far from downtown Minneapolis. There are houses all the way around the lake. Its agood lake to go in the summer to watch the other "foxes" along the lake too!
On my way to work everyday in the spring I keep tabs on a red fox den on an embankment on the side of Interstate 35 just south of downtown St.Paul. I usually see the foxes sitting on the dirt mound watching cars go by. Usually one or two of them will get hit on the freeway as soon as they start wandering away from their den. Too bad.
The city of Red Wing MN has a coyote problem. The residents there are starting to complain. Hint hint! Might be some opportunities down there for some of you guys in the south and east metro! Go get them!

Back