downloading the 223 to save fur?

243ME

I have a 1 in 9 twist barreled Remington 700 LTR and wanted to figure out a light charge load/bullet combination causing less damage to fox hyde. Has anyone had any success or luck doing this?

I would try getting the bullet below 3000 fps because I think that it's the velocity that does the damage. Maybe try a softpoint bullet other than a frangible BT.

I use a 40g v-max at around 3700fps and so far it has been fur friendly on fox. a broadside shot at 80 yards created a nasty hollow channel, but left no exit...

Call the nice folks at Accurate Powders. Choose your bullet wt. and tell them you want an under 3000fps load with XMP5744. They will fix you right up around 2800fps. The load will be just as accurate as your full power loads, and quiet. Best powder ever made for this sort of thing. You can do this with any HV bottle necked cartridge. If you want Hornet speeds, and can live with a little more shot to shot variation, Blue Dot is your answer friend. Even quieter.

My .223 coyote/fox load is a 40 gr ballistic tip round loaded up to run right at 3800 fps. I'm hoping to get a fox or two with these loads to see how they do on the pelts. The coyotes I don't worry as much about since most of their pelts aint worth much anyway.

In .223, by the thousands, I use:

I use 15 gr BLue Dot 33 gr Vmax for 3500 fps
I use 13 gr Blue Dot 60 gr TAP for 2500 fps

Look at the AA site and their AA1680 should get you down to near 22 Mag velocitys with a 50 or 55 Gr bullet. I would suggest a Hornady SPSX.

Back