.338 Ultra Mag on Browning A-Bolt?

Rustydog

I have a friend who is a very accomplished machinist who wants to build a .338 Ultra Mag on the Browning A-Bolt.

He is quite capable of making the conversion, but asked me to look around on PM for anyone who may have experience creating this caliber on Brownings. I sure would like to help him out.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Rustydog

Last edited:
Browning made a 338 ultra mag in a A-bolt, I saw one at my local scheels last night, I think it would be a little easier to buy one but thats just my thoughts.

Deleted by me. For some reason I was thinking the question was about the BAR. Can't help with the A-Bolt question, sorry... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
I can't speak about the A-Bolt but I have a 700 LSS in 338 RUM. The rifle will shoot under .5" ant 100 yds and 2.25" at 450 yds.
The 338 RUM is a hammer, I have shot elk, wt deer, mule deer, and black bear. All have been bang flop kills.
JD700LSS.jpg

JD338

Last edited by a moderator:
That is some fine shooting for a caliber with that much recoil. And shooting a long range group like that makes me think you have many years experience in long range competition. Congratulations!

I edited your post to remove the double [image] [/image] tags which serve no purpose except to spread the screen for many of our members. Try to avoid the double tags, be carefull with the cut and paste.

Jack

My Rem 338 UM groups the 225 Nosler Part with Rel 22 under a inch at 100 yards with most groups around 3/4 or just over 1/2 inch. The last deer i took with it was 427 yards Lasered . I was using the Nosler 200 gr BT with Rel 22 and the deer never moved from his tracks , just dropped and slid down the hill. I don't believe the recoil is as bad some people would think and any experence shooter could handle it with very little problems. The key to shooting rifles with lots of recoil is to mount the scope to keep it away from your head and from hitting you between the eyes. Wear good hearing protection and the recoil isn't halve as bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like the 338 UM and believe it is the best of the Ultra Mag line.

RL22 is a great powder for the 338 RUM. I have loads for the 200 gr BT/AB, 210 gr PT and 225 gr PT that will shoot sub .5 MOA. RL25 for the 225 gr AB is between .5-.6" and the 250 gr PT will go under .5".
Recoil isn't as bad as some claim. I added a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad (Limbsaver wasn't available yet) and it takes the sting out.
The 338 RUM is my favorite big game cartridge.

JD338

Back