Rawlins WY coyotes

gooshnt

This is last minute but me and my buddies have decided to try for some wyoming coyotes this weekend around Rawlins. Not looking for any honey holes but wondering if any of you could point us in a general direction / any tips. Hopefully Les hasn't shot em all out there yet!
Thanks in advance

I've seen a few coyotes between Casper and Rawlins, but you better dress warm. Thats the coldest place I know of with all that wind.

plenty of yotes. find some sagebrush draws, call em up. I killed three this weekend not far from town in 5 stands. their there. Good luck! Get a BLM map, thatll help a ton. dan

Thanks for the replies-sure do appreciate the info. I realize nationals was there--is there a lot of other pressure? or is there enough ground to spread that pressure out?

I've been wanting to go out in the Red Desert area west of Rawlins and have a couple of questions. Since it's BLM land would you drag an ATV all the way from Ohio to use on the 2 tracks or would a my light 4X4 suv be OK.

A truck will be lots warmer out there Pard !
P.S. ATV's need a Non-resident permit to use in Wyoming, it is $15.00 and supposed to be available at places that sell motorcycles and ATV's, or through the state.

Last edited:
There are plenty of dogs around to shoot. Rawlins and the surrounding area have so many dogs it's scary. You shouldn't have a problem with getting into the dogs. Your 4x4 SUV will do just fine out there as well. Hope this has helped you out. God Speed and shoot straight.

Thanks for your replies-thought you might want a report back. Went south of town on Sat- was a perfect day for calling but we only managed 2 coyotes. 2 others snuck in close but we didn't connect. Sun we headed north and hunted half a day. 1st 3 sets we had action and bagged 2 but then wind whipped up. We ended up with 4 for the weekend, 7 responses in 20 stands. Not bad for not knowing the area at all and going blind, but judging by the sign and incidentals we saw you could really do well out there.

WY coyotes are much more aggressive than these in NE--shot 3 of them at less than 25 yds and closing (1 at 2 steps).They come direct and fast-here in NE they are slow and always swing wide for wind. All in all a good learning experience and fun to hunt in a coyote callers dream land--miles and miles of great ground with lots of coyotes. Hope to make it an annual excursion.

Back