Bushmaster Varminteer

I got my feet wet in the "Evil Black Rifle Lake" with a Varminter. It is a great shooter and a barrel of fun.
newpics080.jpg

Depending on what you'll be using it for, there may be other AR configurations that would suit your hunting style better than the Varminter. If size & weight is not an issue, than go for it!
Otherwise, you could have an AR custon built EXACTLY how you want it by Mike Milli of DTECH. He is a member here and has built many rifles for other members, myself included. And his prices are on par with a production AR.

Good luck with your choice!

I have a varminter special. I have used as coyote calling gun and I don't have a problem with the weight etc. I have been constantly amazed at the accuracy of this thing with just factory ammo and cheap bulk ammo also. Can easily get sub 1/2 moa from a bench. Matter of fact did it this past weekend shooting off the hood of my truck. The barrel length has been an issue with some and if doing again I would probably opt for the 20" predator model as a calling gun. As has also been suggested and I have been considering a D-Tech build although in the .243 instead of the .223.

I own the Bushmaster Varmint with 24 inch barrel and have no problem with the length and it is one of my favorite calling rifles. The Bushy group 1/2 or better with the Nosler 55 gr BT and Win 748. The AR never seem to amaze me how accurate they shoot. I have the Leupold 4.5 x 14 30 mm tube with the Leupold Varmint Ret. Great combo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
arcoyote1.jpg

BUSHMASTER3.jpg

I have a Bushmaster Predator with the 20" fluted 1:8" twist barrel. It is still heavier than my bolt rifles but it's not overbearing. I put a Bushnell 4200 Elite 4-16x40mm on it. I changed the stock to an Ace, Panther grip and Magpul trigger guard. It shoots an honest 1/2" with 60gr Hornady V-max bullets. I like it pretty well.
arcoy1.jpg

arcoy2.jpg

I just got the Predator model, and it was shooting the better than me. I was concerned about a loss of accuracy with the 20" barrel vs the 24", but it was unfounded. These rifles just plain shoot. I have yet to bloody mine up, but it won't be too much longer. I have a bunch of 60gr Hornady hp's that I hope to work up a load that she's gonna like.

Good Luck

I just sold a Bushy Varminter and had Dtech make me a .204 on the AR platform. I liked the Varminter and it shot lights out but I have another 16 inch carbine that I use as my carry rifle. I sold the varminter instead of the carbine because I didn't want 2 24 inch barrel AR's. After having both my advice would be to talk to Mike (Dtech here on the board) and see what he can do for you. For about the same money he can build you a AR just the way you want it that will shoot just as good or even better than the varminter. (and if you can afford an extra $100 spring for the compensator, it is worth the money)

Here's my Bushmaster Varminter in 24". Topped with a Mueller Tactical 4x16x50mm/AO with illuminated Mil Dot. Shoots 1/2" at 100 yards all day long. In fact it's better than I. Best .223 I've owned. It has the 2 stage competition trigger. I can highly recommend getting one of these rifles.

PB290005.jpg

No complaints with my 24" Bushmaster Varmint Special except that the stainless is a little shiny. The 16" is still very accurate, more 'portable', and I prefer carrying it when hunting.

I may have to try a 20". Don't know why, just might find that it does as well as the 24" and save a little weight and gain a little maneuverabilty. Besides, there's a big gun show here this weekend and I think that I have been a good boy this year.

Since I shoot the 24" at 300 and 600 off the bench quite a bit, I will probably hang on to it but if the 20" groups just as well at those distances...

I just traded one off for a Remington LTR in .223. The Varminter I had sported a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14 long range scope, cryoed upper , and I installed a jard single stage 2 pound trigger. On the bench I could cover a 100 yard 5 shot group up with a dime, but free handed, I couldnt get use to it. I noticed it had alot of loose parts that ended up being a little too noisy for close encounter calling for my likeness. The only part I miss about it is when I have more than one coyote come in to the call now. But where I'm at, its normaly so brushy you rarely ever get a 2nd shot anyway.I had alot of jamming and missfires with it as well in the short time I owned it and the last thing I wanted to happen is to run into this in the field when its killing time. I know there are AR lovers out there but they just arent for me. If I was out having fun and wanting to target shoot or prairie dogging where I didnt care if my gun missfired or jammed then I wouldnt mind it. As for a predator calling rifle I'll stick to my bolt guns or my shotgun.

243ME:

A very honest reply. I understand totally. I, on the other hand have had no jamming what so ever. There was a couple of noise issues I had, but resolved them (and found out the hard way they where a minor thing I kept over looking). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Any way, the biggest like I have is being able to make that 2nd quick shot and quite possibly a third. I, like you have found this AR not so easy to shoot free hand. I must have a bi-pod, shooting sticks, or have it resting on a ledge (shooting stand) to get the steady shot. But for me that is not a big deal as I always have it resting on one or another waiting for my prey. As you pointed out, they aren't for everybody, but I do appreciate an honest answer. Good luck in your hunting!

As far as shooting the 24 inch Bushmaster Varminter goes, the extra weight and length make mine easier to shoot offhand. This is one easy to shoot rifle. I think we had a thread about a year ago here on PM about shooting the long Muzzleloaders. I like mine and am in the process of building the third upper for my Bushmaster. The new upper will be a pre-ban version, 16 inch M4. I prefer the 24 inch myself over the 16 inch or 20 inch....JOHN

I LOVE my varminter! My 10yr old has since taken posession of it and I don't get to shoot it as much as I would like. He has taken alot of prairie dogs with it, his longest shot is a hair over 300yds. The gun is a tack driver! I would buy another one with no regrets!

Mine is a shooter and I have had no complaints either. When I got mine the coating was missing where the scope rings attach to...I called they sent the return slip and I sent it in and it was taken care of....Bushmaster customer service is very good..........stump

I wanted to buy one when I first got the EBR bug. Prices were ranging from $1000 to $1200 at the local gunshops. then someone said, why not assemble your own? So I did some web surfing and bought the parts (DPMS) for $1150, including scope and mounts from MidwayUSA.com and a stripped lower from a local gunshop. It's got a HEAVY 24" SS barrel, so it weighs more than the Bushy.

R1A.jpg

And it shoots too!

GRP2A.jpg

Back