Directions for a Home-Made Coyote Drag Please

danport

I saw another post on making a coyote drag, but the picture must have been deleted.
Please post a picture and directions for making a simple, low cost, home-made coyote drag.
thanks.

Just get a peice of 1" dowel 4" long and drill a hole in the center of it. take a peice of cord about 1 foot long, tie a know in one end and run it through the hole. tie a loop in the other end, and you're done.

danport-- Here's a photo of a simple tow rope I use.

dragrope.jpg

I set it up so there is a Bowline knot on one end to create a fairly big loop to slip my hand in. That's the loop on the bottom of the photo. As you probably know, the Bowline knot DOES NOT tighten on your hand. On the other end I have a smaller Bowline knot and then I slip the rope through that loop to create kind of a slip knot. I place the loop over the bottom teeth of the coyote and slip both front feet through that same loop and then tighten up on the loop. Here's a photo of the loop over the teeth with the front feet through the loop:

MouthGrowthsOptimizd.jpg

And another photo of my hunting partner and I carrying a coyote using these tow ropes. We are wearing hunter orange becasue we were out calling coyotes during deer gun season!!!

coyoteonropes.jpg

If you have an extremely heavy coyote to tow, these small ropes can bite into your hands and make you uncomfortable. I did make a tow rope with part of a wooden hoe handle for my hand to hold onto instead of just the rope. I drilled a hole all the way through the handle the long way and slipped the rope through there. It is too bulky to carry, so I don't use it very often.

dragropehandle.jpg

Another poster on another thread mentioned using a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe with a cap glued on one end and another cap just sliped on tight on the other end. He kept his tow rope inside this PVC pipe and slipped the pipe inside the tow loop and used the pipe gripped in his hand with the other end looped like I described above.

Whoa, Silverfox, what the heck was wrong with that coyotes mouth? Looks like he ate some farm chemicals or something, nasty, huh? T.20

T.20-- A biologist friend of mine said that while those growths are rare, they do happen once in a great while. I can't remember the exact cause, but seem to remember him mentioning something about a fungus. Those growths looked just like cauliflower!!! They sure were ugly. However, the coyote was as fat as a corn fed steer, so he wasn't suffering from not being able to eat.

Why not just skin on the spot? The pelt comes off about ten times easier when it is hot. And a lot lighter to carry.

A Choke Chain for dogs makes a great carrier. They are cheap, last for ever, and don't take up much room.

I keep a few in a backpack and a few in my remake bucket for trapping.

A tip on hot skinning in the field: Just skin the body out and leave the skull for when you get home and have more time. Also keep some extra skinning gloves with your gear so you have them when you need them. Also I use unscented "Baby Wipes" for cleaning up. Works well when you don't have water to use.

Tim

Here's mine:

IMG_1741.jpg

It packs up smaller than my thumb.

IMG_1742.jpg

It is easy on the hand.

IMG_1745.jpg

I made it out of a piece of nylon webbing. (scrounged it off my wife's old purse, I think?) The cord is Parachute cord with a slip knot on the end. I can put a loop over a coyotes canine teeth and muzzle to drag or hog-tie all legs and head to carry them.

Has anyone ever tried wire ties? I'd think a person could wire tie the front legs together, wire tie the back legs together, and if hunting with a partner, run your bi-pod between the legs and each hunter grab an end. I also thought of using 2 sets of wire ties. Wire tie either the front or back legs together, then slide the other wire tie through the one already looped around the one set of legs and secure it around the other set of legs. I suppose a guy could also use flex cuffs that us cops use in crowd control situations. The only draw back is they aren't reusable.

Brian

Isn't dragging them hard on the fur? If you're saving hides, I wouldn't think a guy would want to drag them. I'm a rookie though here, so any info. from anyone else would be appreciated.

Brian

If you're saving fur, carry them. If they aren't good enough to save the fur and you need to get them out of the field you can drag them.

I have dragged hundreds of coyotes out of the field and I have never seen that it has damaged the fur. The fur buyers have never said they saw any damage to the hides of coyotes I bring in. If it was breaking off the guard hairs, etc., I'm sure I would have heard about it. If you run the slip knot loop around the lower jaw and put the front paws in that same loop, you are going to be dragging the coyote WITH the grain of the fur. Most of the time, I am dragging them on top of snow, but I also have dragged them on prairie grass, stubble and the like as well. I am careful not to drag them through cactus, thick brush etc., but I sure haven't noticed damaged fur by dragging them.

I have two methods that I use. The first method is I took a 3 inch piece of 1/2 in PVC, drilled a hole, and put a length of cord through it and made a rip off E.L.K. Yote Tote. I actually made 12 of them with the scraps left over when I made my ladder golf set. I keep one drag in each jacket, pants, etc.

The second method is I made these skinning gambrels. I use them to hang the coyote from my garage rafters when skinning. So far I have skinned 2 coyotes and 1 fox using them-they seem sturdy enough. You can also connect them together to drag out a coyote, or hang the animal up from a fencepost to take a picture. I made them from nylon rope, metal loops from a hardware store, and a TON of hot glue!

gambrel.jpg

Drag them head first and you'll get no real damage,at least not here in the terrain of the northeast.Now deer,thats another matter.I've had them brought to be with bare spots rubbed on the shoulders,lol.

Our terrain has lots of volcanic rock. It not only tears the hair off, it can put a hole in the hide. I had a hole all the way through to the meat when I dragged a deer too far.

Back