243 - 58 gr Vmax

todbartell

I recently sold my 223 and bought a 243 which I have yet to shoot (waiting for my scope to arrive). I'm loading up some ammo, 58 grain Hornady Vmax over Varget. It got me wondering about their performance on coyotes.

I'm sure a few guys out here have used em, how do they perform? I shot a few groups with them in a 243 I had this summer, and they shot ok, but not spectacular (1.4" 5 shot @ 3800 fps).

My best groups were using the 65gr VMax over the lighter 58gr. It's been awhile since I worked up a load and had only used Varget but I'm pretty sure mine were grouping less than an inch. (My gun is a CZ550 American 243)

I'm thinking of going this route in the .243 listed below. I'm sure it's a 1/10 twist rifle. My understanding is to get the performance out of the 58 grn. Vmax I will need to go to a 1/12 twist barrel ? Anyone have any thoughts on barrel twist and the lighter bullets ?????

Todd,

I'm using the 55gr Sierra BK bullets out of my 15" .243 Encore barrel, and it groups under an inch at 100yds. with no problem.
I use a less than max load of Varget at 43.0grs. and in the handgun barrel, it performs much like a heavier bullet would in a rifle length barrel.
Other than a slightly higher bullet BC, at 3550fps., the load performs much like a .22-250 would in a rifle with the same bullet weight.

I use the load for chucks, or coyotes, but I haven't shot any fox with it yet, and I'm assuming that it would just about rip them in half.

Heavier bullets like the 90gr Noslers, or something similar would be a good choice for deer, but those little light polymer tipped bullets work well for the varmints and predators.

I haven't used the VMax's in it yet, but it's probably the only one I haven't. They fly & perform beautifully out of everything else I've used them in to date.

Good luck,
Bob

To answer your question directly Todd the 58 grain Vmax will work great, but there are better choices on large coyotes.

I can't understand the desire to shoot 58's out of the 243. I'd just shoot the 22-250.

To get the "243 effect" on coyotes, use a heavier bullet. If you use a 70 grain Nosler BT it will amaze you how fast the coyotes go to sleep.

But best all around bullet for fur damage and killing power is actually a 85 grain Sierra BTHP in the 243.

243 has been my "go to" coyote gun since the late '70's, and I've killed stuff with all the weight bullets.

I always go back to the 85 grain Sierra BTHP Gameking.

Ishot 1.1in. at 170 yards with the 58gr v max in my CZ 243 from shooting stix.I am loading with w748 and blc2. I think that group was BLC2. I shot 2 yotes at 50 yards with the factory load 58gr vmax and small entry and 1in exit hole. Thats not bad I guess but reall dont know what is considered bad for fur savers.
I just like to shootem.
Daryl P.

Quote:
To answer your question directly Todd the 58 grain Vmax will work great, but there are better choices on large coyotes.

I can't understand the desire to shoot 58's out of the 243. I'd just shoot the 22-250.

To get the "243 effect" on coyotes, use a heavier bullet. If you use a 70 grain Nosler BT it will amaze you how fast the coyotes go to sleep.

But best all around bullet for fur damage and killing power is actually a 85 grain Sierra BTHP in the 243.

243 has been my "go to" coyote gun since the late '70's, and I've killed stuff with all the weight bullets.

I always go back to the 85 grain Sierra BTHP Gameking.

exactly, shooting any bullets in the 50-60 grain weights in a 243 just make it a 22-250, it negates the full use of the cartridge, IMO the 87grn VMAX is the best all around bullet in the 243 or 6mm, its flat shooting and gives you long range capibilites

friend of mine shoots the 58 vmax in his remington 700 i can shoot it and it groups 1/2 at 100. never had a coyote run away!

well truth be told I got these 58 gr Vmax because its what the local store had, so I figured Id give them a go. Got some 70 gr Nosler Ballistic tips too. The 87 grain Vmax is pretty appealing but so clsoe to my custom 260 Remington with 95 Vmax that might as well use that. Sure hammers them

thanks for the info guys

Back