Hornady 55 SP w/c Bulk Bullet Problems??????

Mike R

I recently ran into a problem with the Hornady 55 gr Sp w/c bulk bullets and was wondering if anybody else had experienced the same. I bought a couple boxes (100 count) off the shelf locally a year or two ago and had them laying around till this fall when I decided to load them up and see how they shot. I was plesantly suprised when all three of my uppers put 5 into an inch at 100 very consistently. Sometimes a little better but hardly ever any worse, very consistent. So I figured I would buy them in bulk and see how they performed on squirrels, prairie dogs etc this coming spring.

Long story, short, the bullets that worked so good before(off the shelf) now in bulk would not chamber in 1 upper and the best group I could get out of the other 2 uppers is now at about 3". Checking the bullets they are visiably different. The bulk bullet had a longer OAL, longer bearing surface, cannelure in a different place, but they weigh the same as the old ones. A quick call to Hornady in which they informed me they have changed nothing with that bullet and the company I got them from probably used somebody else's bullet or had a mix up of some kind. So I called the place I bought them from, they told me they do not mix bullets, the Hornady's are taken right from a 6000 round box and divided up. They were very nice, told me to send them back with a couple of my old ones and they would check into it.

Again long story short, after 2 weeks of them looking into it and talking with Hornady's plant manager, it has been verified that they were Hornady bullets, the tolerences have changed but they are still within Hornady standards. So the bullets that shot so good I guess are a thing of the past, at least in bulk!! FYI for those who did not know the Hornady bulk bullets come from a different assembly line than the red box you buy on the shelf, completely different plant, different address. I am not tring to rag on Hornady bullets here, I have shot thousands and will continue to shoot some others but I am kinda disappointed with this experience. I know I was not buying a match bullet but I expected the same bullet I had before. Anybody else noticed any difference in these bullets???

Thanks for the heads up.
I've not seen a problem but I've not looked for it and my single shot is probably more forgiving than an AR

I try to never shoot a bullet W/C as this is the first road to accuracy lost in my opinion. Some bullets W/C shoot pretty good but those W/O the W/C shoot much better.

Right on, cannelure bullets can cause poor accuracy, however, in the AR15 the cannelure has not caused me any problems as I don't expect benchrest quality accuracy out of a 16 inch barreled chromelined bore carry rig.

I love those bullets, sad to hear they have changed. I soon hope to have my reloading stuff setup again, I'll have to give them another try.

Over the years I've shot several bullets with cannelures they have never been a problem.

FalFire did you make it through the flood down your way ok?

I've shot several cannelured bullets over the years out of many different .223's and accuracy has usually been very acceptable. In fact, right now I've been reloading some of the really cheap Winchester 55 grain SP W/C and the Midsouth NightMare 55 grain SP W/C, (both about 6 bucks a 100). Using N133 powder, groups have been well under an inch with both out of my CZ 527 American. Great plinker and I plan on trying them on coyotes too. Does anyone know who makes the Midsouth NightMare's?? Looks like a Hornady but I can tell for certain.

This really sucks that Hornady isn't using thier quality control across the board. I have been using Speer TNT bulk bullets and they are GREAT except the damb price keeps going up.

Ducksoup,
I had heard that the Midsouth was Hornady but do not know for sure. If they are you may see a change in them. I was looking at the Midway's, forget the name, they supposedly are made by Nosler.

Jarhead,
I have also shot alot of the TNT, very consistent bullet and yes the price is climbing, I should probably just stick to the TNT's and match bullets and quite messing with the other stuff.

Ducksoup,

I actually work in Renton for King County. I used to know quite a few of the guys here in PO but they have gotten alot of new faces since I was a volunteer here. The names do not ring a bell. Do you shoot at the range there in GH or come over to Kitsap?

I belong to Gig Harbor Sportsman's Club. Only 2 miles from the house. Not a bad place, just wish they had a longer rifle range. I've made a lot of friends over the years. Hopefully the new range will go thru and than we'll have a 300 yard rifle range. Possibly out by Bremerton airport.

Do you hunt the wet side or go east?

Back