6mm Remington vs .25-06 Remington

Craig S

I'm torn between the two. I just want another caliber. I have a .222 Rem and a .308 Win and I want something between the two. I was leaning towards the .25-06 because I shoot more deer size game than anything else. I want a fast flat shooting round that is pleasant to shoot and hits harder than a .222 Rem. My friend threw a monkey wrench into my brain about the 6mm Remington just before I finally decided on the .25-06. I do not handload, but I did see that Federal loads a 100 grain NP bullet. I am going mt. lion hunting next year and would probably take whatever I decide on. I did notice the 6mm had a better b/c than the .25-06, but should I even care? Thoughts?

Thanks

I have a 25-06 in a Sendero, I LOVE THAT THING!!!! If I had a single con about it... the twist is too slow to shoot Bergers or any other VLD bullet. I shoot 120 GK's and haven't had as many bang flops with any other cartridge; from 22-250 to 7mmX300Wby.

They are close, but not the same; in my opinion have different purposes. Most quarter bore bullets are of heavier construction and are designed for bigger game where most 6mm bullets are of lighter construction for smaller-medium size game. You would be hard pressed to find factory rounds loaded with a V-Max or BlitzKing for a 25-06.

Obviously there are more 6mm bullets available than for 25-06...so ammo selection might be greater in the 6mm, even better in .243

My synopsis is that the 6mm is a great heavier varmint and light deer/antelope rifle, but the 25-06 is a heavy coyote hitter and great long range rifle for animals up to mulies/sheep/goats.

With factory ammo the 6mm tops at 2000ft/lbs of energy with only 100 grain bullets....heavier or lighter and energy actually drops off. With the 25-06 energy is consistent at 2500ft/lbs from 90 grains through 120 grains. Sure the heavy 6mm bullets have an awesome ballistic Co-efficient, but who regularly shoots over 400 yards to see the difference except for a bench gun?

Quote:
I have a 25-06 in a Sendero, I LOVE THAT THING!!!!

I've been looking for one for a long time....I love 'em too.

One of the things that makes the 25-06 shine is using a 26" barrel to get all that powder burned into velocity. Too many 25-06's are made with 22-24" barrels.

If you don't reload your choice should probably be between a .243 and a 25-06. The .243 and 6mm Rem are virtually identical unless you reload, in which the 6mm has a (very slight) advantage.

In factory ammo you will find a better selection is normally available in .243. It's a much more popular cartridge.

Between the .243 and the 25-06 in a factory rifle, the choice is probably going to be determined by the game you take. The .243 has been used for everything up elk, but the 25-06 is obviously a harder hitting round.

The .243 has a very wide variety of excellent long range bullets available even if you don't roll your own, but the 25-06 is no slouch and will do the job very well for any and all ranges you are likely to be hunting.

If you shoot a lot, the .243 ammo will probably be cheaper.

They are both great rounds, maybe you to get one of each so you can make a more informed decision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should just stick to my gut and get a .25-06 barrel for my gun. The twist on the barrel is 1:10 and the length is 22.7". I have no say in the barrel length or twist. I see Federal loads several premium and non-premium bullets for the .25-06 depending on your quary. I would be extremely limited with the 6mm Rem. Does anyone know if the .25-06 (100 grain bullet) recoils noticeably less than a .270 Win (130 grain bullet)?

Last edited:
Quote:
. Does anyone know if the .25-06 (100 grain bullet) recoils noticeably less than a .270 Win (130 grain bullet)?

Yes the 100 grain bullet will recoil less. They are both the same identical case, with a different headstamp and neck size. The lighter bullet will recoil less. Has something to do with a guy once called Newton.

Gotta put my vote in for the 25-06. Love that gun! I have a Win M70 Classic that shoots as smooth as my .22-250 varmint rig. It's a pleasure to shoot and hammers the deer. Most factory ammo options now offer the better lines of bullets (i.e. Nosler Partitions & Accubonds, Hornady SST, Barnes TSX, etc.) so you shouldn't have a problem finding the right ammo to suit your needs. Gotta say though that if you reload for it, you can really make it shine by getting the most out of the velocity and accuracy over the factory fodder. The 25-06 shoots fast and flat so I know you won't be dissapointed with it. Go with your gut!

25/06 all the way.... don't buy your gun outright... build your own! Back when I had my FFL we bought some CHEAP surplus mauser 98 barrelled actions ($24 each!). I took them apart, cleaned & polished them for weeks. I put on a Shilen mid weight series 4 26" barrel, had it crowned and such. Added a Fajen laminated stock, and added a scope. If my wife only knew how much I have in this gun, I'd be paying child support, but over the year it took to build, it wasn't that bad! However, it will shoot 5 shots on a quarter.

Here is a pic: pic

I don't see why too many people get excited about the 25-06, the problem with it IMO is that you really don't have a bullet selection to take full advantage of its capibilities. IMO the 6mm is a better long range overall platform. get one with a 1:9 twist barrel so you can shoot those 105 amaxs at 3000fps or so and you will have your long range combo, step down to the light weight vmaxs in the 60grn range and you have a super flat shooter. with the 6mm you can have it anyway you want, don't give me this crap about the 243 being just as good, the 6mm has a considerably longer neck coupled with more powder space, it handles the 105 amaxs much better than a 243 can. why not have a rifle that can offer the best of both worlds depending on your bullet selection

The 25-06 will push a 120 gr bullet just as fast as a 6mm will push a 100 gr. bullet.
What's not to get excited about.

I currently have one of each and out to 200 yards whitetails can't tell the difference.
At longer ranges the 25-06 will shine.
75 gr VMax up to 120 gr. premium big game bullets are enough choices for mine.

Clayman

lgsil_700cdl.jpg

I love my .25-06 Mauser's, but the above new Remington would be nice also.

6mm all the way I'll shoot game down range anyday with a 100gr psp without a worry in the world and I can stop almost anywhere and pick up a box of remmington 100 gr core locks. You can tell me until your blue in the face about what the books say, but can you honestly tell me that the performance will be that noticable to me, an avid hunter?
I have a 30-06 and it will never leave the gun cabinet unless I am in search of an Elk or larger animal.
I do however like the suggestion of buying both.
On a side note as far as I have looked the 6mm is only avalable in a M77 MKII new that would maybe sway me to the 25-06. Ruger guys dont jump down mt throat my 6mm is an M77 tang safety and dads is a MKII and the MKII dosent hold a candle to the Tanger'.

I would say get them both. I have a Remington BDL in 6mm and love it. I had a 25-06 and wish I never sold it. "Steve Aryan" has a nice Savage 25-06 for sale on here.

Last edited:
After careful consideration of what I want to do with this new cartridge of choice and important factors pointed out to me here, I ordered a .243 Win barrel today for my rifle. The barrel has a 1:10 twist and is 22.7" long. I'm a huge Barnes TSX fan and was going to order Federal's 85gr loading of this bullet.

Thanks for all your help and sorry if I let down any quarter bore fans.

Craig,

It is unfortunate you do not reload, this is what came to my mind, if you are mainly looking for a "larger bore" predator rifle that can be used to pop off a deer in the fall; why not go with a 6mm-06 wildcat?

Take a look at the ballistics for the 240 WBY Mag to get an idea of what I am talking about.

I myself am on a quest for a beat-up Mod 700 BDL Lefthand at a bargin price to have a 6mm-06 built. I have a mint M700 LH take of stock sitting here collecting dust.

Back