How loud is a .17 remington

It depends on the 223 you are shooting. I had an AR with a 16 inch barrel and that thing was loud. There is a slight difference between my 17 Remington and my 223 Encore.

The .223 in question is a Bushy Varminter. 24" barrel, heavy under the handguard. It's actually pretty quiet. Just wouldn't mind getting a little quieter without having to step down to a rimfire.

Quote:
It is about the same as a 221 Fireball in a 22" barrel. You still need muffs.

In my experience the 17 rem is significantly louder than the 221. About the same as a 223 but with a higher pitch and a wicked crack to it.

I've never heard a .221 fireball, how does that compare to a .223 with a long heavy barrel. If a .221 fireball is just as loud as a .17Rem and that's just as loud as a .223 there may not be much to gain. Let's assume that my .17 would probably not be a long and heavy of a barrel as my Varminter. Does anybody know of a "common" .17Rem with a heavy barrel?

I guess the bottom line is, all centerfire 22 caliber cartridges break the sound barrier and that's where the crack comes from. They also don't completely burn all the powder inside the barrel and that causes the bang. So add the bang to the crack and you have the report from the cartridge being fired.

I never considered the sound barrier as a factor, still a smaller round is typically quieter. The difference between a .223 and .17Rem is probably negligeable however. I'll just have to listen to one myself and see if I think it will make a difference. I love the thread and can idea, but no. Thanks

This is a 300 Whisper. Its about as quite as you can get a centerfire to be. It don't break the sound barrier so no crack to contend with. The suppressor handles the bang from the powder. You can shoot supersonic ammo and get a crack from it with the suppressor on it. Remington is bringing out a version of the 17 MACH 4 which should be somewhat quiter than the 17 Rem.

[image]
300Whisper.jpg
[/image]

That's interesting. 300 Whisper, very cool. As far as the suppressor, love that too. But isn't it a huge rigamarole to even be allowed to posess one legally. Tax stamp, Extensive background check etc? Even if I went through all of that, the supressor still wouldn't be legal for hunting in MN. Any idea where I can find a ballistics table for the 300 Whisper. Is that strictly a handload? I've never heard of one before. Also, whats is the Mach 4 supposed to be like. Centerfire?, Rimfire?, If it's anything like the mach 2 or HMR, that's too small. I still need to be able to kill a coyote.

I have a Remington Classic in 17 Reminton and a classic in 223. I have shot them both at the bench at the same time and I can't tell a dimes worth of differrence in the loudness of the report. Same goes for the 222 classic I have. I haven't noticed a significant difference in loudness until you get down to the Hornet or 218 Bee.

Quote:
Quote:
It is about the same as a 221 Fireball in a 22" barrel. You still need muffs.

In my experience the 17 rem is significantly louder than the 221. About the same as a 223 but with a higher pitch and a wicked crack to it.

I agree absolutely!
Loaded to high pressures, which every 17 shooter I ever went hunting with does. the 17 is nasty.

Except for muzzle brake shooters it is the caliber I least like to hear fired. It has a high pitched crack that is much more objectionable to me than a bigger calibers boom. The 221 is very quiet in comparison.

Jack

What Jack Roberts said....

The 17 Remington may have a small hole in the barrel, but the sound is not small. It's huge in comparison to the 221 FB.

I get more questions and comments concerning the muzzle blast/crack from shooters near me at a public range when I'm shooting one of my 17 Remingtons than when I'm shooting a big boomer.

-BCB

You wanna talk loud - my new .20-250 is about a eargensplitten SOB... Pretty loud while shooting it. But worse when sitting behind and to the side of the shooter. My partner let off a volley with it at a herd of coyotes that were galloping in to the call the other day. I was sitting above, behind and to one side on the hill (filming the fleeing herd of coyotes) and my ears were ringing for days. MUCH louder than my .17P, which of course should be a bit louder than the .17 Rem. (which I agree is WAY louder than the .221 or .223 with longer than carbine barrel).

Muzzle pressure, I guess.

- DAA

I shoot both the .17 and .221's. .221 much quieter than the .17. It has a very high pitched crack to it.

Those 20 cal bullets holding up to the speed of a 250?

Back