How large can coyotes get?

sleddogg

Just wondering how large both eastern and western coyotes can get? My state does not keep records on weight, even though we have to tag the pelts.

The largest coyote I ever saw was 43 lbs from Nevada. I saw a picture of one Crow Woman got that was 60 lbs and I've heard of eastern coyotes ( part wolf?)over 80 lbs. :eek:

I'm looking at some older data but it should be pretty close.

Northeastern California coyote males averaged 25 pounds. In Texas they average 37 pounds and in the northern tier of the country they average a little over 40 pounds. The largest on record wieghed 75 pounds and was taken in Wyoming. Hope this helps.

Mike

this last fall, my son and I started weighing the coyotes we killed, just for our own satisfaction. The scales we use are not certified, but for comparison purposes, they are okay.

We killed 13 this past fall and winter. The males were usually in the 30 pound range, with one large dog going 35, and one VERY large one hitting 38 pounds, on two different scales. The females were in the 26-28 pound range.

I killed one this week, but didn't weigh him, due to a broken scale. He was a young dog, probably about 28 pounds.

Mike, I'm guessing you're a biologist? Sorry man, but I happen to disagree with you if you don't mind? Like the average coyote in Texas is 37 lbs? I don't think so, But hey I could be wrong. Northeastern California coyotes average 25 lbs? Maybe, but who is weighing them? Does that mean that southeastern Oregon and northwestern Nevada coyotes all weigh an average of 25 lbs? A 75 lbs coyote out of Wyoming? emmm maybe, but thats hard to believe too. Hey, I could be wrong again and again, but some of those numbers don't add up to me. Sorry man, no hard feelings buddy and Good Hunting.

original question wuz how big do coyotes get ... my personal experience i have shot one as big as 56 lbs. northeast area.. weighed on certified scales of my own by county weights and measures dont know about other parts of the country but in the northeast they appearantly can get to at least 56 lb. or maybe bigger all fact

Danny B,
Mike is just telling about some data he read. In north texas I have seen coyotes that were probably 30-40 pounds, but I think that south texas coyotes would be much smaller. I think that their size has a whole lot to do with food supply but then I could be wrong too. There was that time several years ago that I thought that I was wrong, but turned out that I was mistaken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich, nothing wrong with being wrong now and then, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I good at it LOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The largest of my hand raised pack of 6 weighed 52 lbs. when she was 4 years old. That was on the vets scale. The litter came from N. of Tulsa, around Owasso. Of course, those pups had it WAY better than their Momma did, lol.

Here in upstate NY . The locals hold a contest every year for a money prize for the largest coyote over 60 lbs. There is from 5 to as many as 15 will enter..the normal winner will usually be from 64 to 68 lbs. It is almost always a male. I have taken many, many coyotes off my farm here and my best has been 62 lbs. It was a big male and was badly scared up. No doubt he has been around a while! I was attacked by 2 in 1980 and they were 45 lb. young males , both killed by DEC. people.

Originally posted by AL VT:
[qb]Here in upstate NY . The locals hold a contest every year for a money prize for the largest coyote over 60 lbs. There is from 5 to as many as 15 will enter..the normal winner will usually be from 64 to 68 lbs. It is almost always a male. I have taken many, many coyotes off my farm here and my best has been 62 lbs. It was a big male and was badly scared up. No doubt he has been around a while! I was attacked by 2 in 1980 and they were 45 lb. young males , both killed by DEC. people.[/qb]
Hey AL VT: I would sure like to hear that story, and I'm sure the others would as well! How about it?

Back