OH !@#$ !!!!!!!!!!!

puppypopper

The folks across the street came over at lunch and said that they are having problems with one of thier dogs. The dog in mention is a 85 lbs rotweiller. They asked if i would put the dog down, it was killing the cats, chickens and attacking the goats. I said ok, this is a job for the TC 204. Well, I went over, 204 in hand and took a look at the dog. He was about 50 yard away acting crazy as all hell in the back field. The folks warned me that they thought the dog may be rampid due to all the coon bodies that have found lying around. I asked them are you sure you want this done. They said yes and i said ok. I waited for the dog to get broad side and looked for the twelve ring and pulled the trigger. Now at this point i am thinking that the dog is going to stop, drop and roll. If at any point in my life i could be wrong, now was not the time. The dog took it standing up! Now i hit him with a 32gr ballist tip at 50 yards. Did i mention that i was using a SINGLE SHOT RIFLE, ya! The dog turned and started charging at me. OH !@#$ !!!!!!!!! I reloaded the gun with in a blink of a blink of a eye, which did seem entirly to long with a dog charging. Got the second round in cross hairs on skull, bang flop! Head shot will drop. Now the crazy thing is after i took three steps forward to the now dead dog, i looked at the first hole and it looks like the bullet blew back out. Now i have shot cats and possums with no problem but this just blows my mind. I looks like the entry hole is the exit hole.

Has anyone ran into this problem?

Hey Crapshoot,, If the distance was farther say 100 yards or more does that reduce the risk of splash. My way of thinking is the farther away the more FPS is shed and the bullet penetrates better. Am I on the right track?
Daryl P.

Step up to a heavier bullet and away from the plastic tip if possible.
A splash is what happens when you push light , thin jacketed bullets at ungodly speads. Many will self destruct when they come in contact with almost anything . Poor penetration. The bullet comes apart before reaching the vitals cauing only a surface flesh wound.

Just my theory. Doesn't mean it's right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The 32 gr ballistic tip was designed to send p-dogs airborne. I'm not particularly surprised it had trouble with an 85 lb stark raving mad rottweiler.

Last edited:
If you'd have shot that rotty with the .243 85 gr. Sierra BTHP you wouldn't have this story to tell. At least not this way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
The folks warned me that they thought the dog may be rapid due to all the coon bodies that have found lying around.......

Just for the heck of it, why don't you suggest that they transport (or you do it for them) the animal to the local health department, convey their concerns, and ask that the head be sent to the lab and checked. I, personally, would want to know if there was a possibility that rabies was in the area. Does anyone around there have children that play outdoors? If there are rabid coons or other sizable animals that are infected, they could attack a child (or an adult) without cause or warning and REALLY ruin their day.......

Yup,sounds like a spatter or splash to me.Your not the first person i have heard of this happening to.I ever talked to one guy that had it happen on a groundhog.That is the only problem with that cartridge.

Quote:
i hit him with a 32gr ballist tip

Not a good choice for coyotes (or Rotts). Consider a 40gr VMax for better penetration.

Quote:
Quote:
The folks warned me that they thought the dog may be rapid due to all the coon bodies that have found lying around.......

Just for the heck of it, why don't you suggest that they transport (or you do it for them) the animal to the local health department, convey their concerns, and ask that the head be sent to the lab and checked.

I always thought a head shot ruined the idea of having it tested.

puppypopper - you are shooting a bullet made for groundhogs.

The new 45 grain SP from Hornady will turn your 204 into a new animal.

Forget the ballistic tips on large coyotes and dogs. The splash can occur even with 40 grain Vmaxes out of a 223. I was amazed first time I saw it. I switched right back to SP bullets.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just for the heck of it, why don't you suggest that they transport (or you do it for them) the animal to the local health department, convey their concerns, and ask that the head be sent to the lab and checked.

I always thought a head shot ruined the idea of having it tested.

Not always. It depends on the damage and other factors. I am not absolutely sure what the protocol is (that's the wife's line of work) but I know that we have sent heads in from coons that were head shots and got results back. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

PP,
I had a similar experience. This LARGE stray was hanging around and nearly bit the dog warden who then told my wife to have me just shoot it. A SX type bullet at over 100 yards broadside sent it bawling into the neighbor's tall grass with blood on the grass blades but no dead dog. The next week my wife saw it again about 1/2 mile up the road no worse for wear. Good thing your head shot got the job done.

2x on the hornady 45 sp. they shoot well in my 204.
32 vmax is made for praire dogs.
35 gr berger is suppose to be good for dog size critters too.
Did the owners witness the charge?
or the cleaning out of your pants.LOL
Kudos for staying calm enough for the head shot..
Also if you havn't already done so.. Get the dog checked for rabies..sounds like he had it. All they need is some good brain material i believe.

Last edited:
puppypopper, just my point of view but I think next time you should think of bringing something more suited, because for one, an 85lb. rotweiller is not a coyote, second should have shot for the head to save the dog from having to suffer, and third v-max was a very poor choice, should have used hollowpoints or something similar. Also, a larger caliber would have been a much better choice, a dog is in no way comparable to a gopher, and the .204 is much much too small, should have went with atleast .243 or larger. Personally, I would not shoot anything coyote size or larger past 200yds. with a .204, I feel it is too small a bullet size.

Not sure how they would handle this in N.C., but here in Michigan if you get caught shooting a Domestic Dog, you're probably going to get a paid vacation in the county jail.

I don't think I'd be telling anyone in an "official" position until I knew what their reaction would be. Some of us here have learned the "Three S Philosophy" - Shoot, Shovel, Shut-Up.

Back