Rubber boots for Coyote and Fox?

pachuckhunter

Maybe the Biologists can help. I know a Coyotes nose is sensitive, but do those tall 17" rubber boots really make that much difference for scent dispersal over regular 8" hunting boots? It seems like unless you keep them in a scent free place, and put them on once you exit your vehicle, they would still have the same smells on them.

Karl

The more rubber on you the less the heat and moisture can escape, thus, you sweat more and stink more. A good pair of waterproof Gor-Tex boots are all you need. Rubber may stop odors from your feet and or legs, but it won't stop any odor from the rest of you. Just set quickly and go on, they will know you were there, no matter what you do, for maybe up to a week.
How do they know we don't hide food in the ground? How would they know we don't sign territory like they do, it would be all they know. My thoughts on this subject.T.20

I thought that those "Scent-free" 18" high rubber boots were just a gimmick, just wanted to ask. The only thing I see them good for over my Rocky Gore-tex boots is another 10" in height to wade through streams with!

Karl

I hunt with Lacross Alpha burlys. I like them and will probably always hunt with them. I also trap in them. They are soo comfortable they feel like tennis shoes.

I think that they do help with scent control as I typically walk into the first puddle, creek or stream and kick around a bit (quietly). Then I walk to the stand or trap locale. It may be like most other hunting gear, it generally comes down to what the hunter has confidence in. I know some that hunt in not much more than a loincloth and moccasins. They take just as much game as others I know that have all the Scentlok gear.

There are some downsides to the tall rubber boots: 1) they definitely don't breathe like other boots can (if Goretex boots get wet they don't breathe either, until they dry). 2)they can be expensive, though I believe are worth it. Goretex boots typically run a bit more. 3) Some may need better ankle support than the rubber boots provide. If it is a long hike on some difficult terrain, a stiffer boot would be recommended.

I have worn rubber, and leather, and here is how it goes........if a coyote hits your entrance route, the jig is up. I hunt coyotes from treestands, and have seen it first hand many, many times.

Deer are less sensitive, and will many times ingnore my scent when they hit my entrance route.

Bottom line is you are always dropping skin particles, hair, and other foriegn scents in the forest, and coyotes don't tolerate this well around here.

The best person to ask would be a trapper I suppose.

Rich, just tell them the boots are half price, and if they wear them, the humans won't smell their tracks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pachuckhunter,
Good idea sir. My own footwear is just regular insulated leather boots. I have this trick where I walk into my stand backwards. This way when coyote comes in and sees my tracks, he ain't worried because he thinks I just left.

Rich,
That's not cool to let out all the "old pro secrets." Some things should be kept as sacred old secrets. The intiation into the elite ranks must be earned, only discovered by hard work, determination, much study, during time periods of perfect alingment of earth, moon, and stars. Only when a guy has "broken through" can he be admitted into the ranks of the very best. I think you're crossing the line by just telling people this stuff easy pleasy with little care or forethought of the consequences. Traditions and the old institutions of Coyoteology demand more respect for these secrets. Now these people must be sworn to never tell. Or... well you know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Maybe they would wear those old sneakers that say "Keds" on the sides? Remember them? And I'm only 44.

Seriously though, are those tall rubber boots some guys wear in the videos that are so called "scent free" really only good for deep puddles? I think any boot would technically leave some kind of unnatural scent on the ground. I like the walking through puddles idea.

Karl

I think the advantage of rubber over leather is not that
your scent can't make it from you out through the boots ,,But That leather has a tendancy to absorb odor whether it is gasoline or micky d's french fries.This odor is than retained in the leather to be given off as you walk through the woods.
Rubber doesnt absorb odor like this. I do believe this is
good for deer hunting.I think a dogs nose is so sensitive
they can wind you even if you were incased in a trojan deep end. Anyone who has had a working bird dog knows how good a canines scense of smell is.

Varmonter, what you said makes more sense. I get your point. Kind of like drug and bomb sniffing dogs can pick out the tiniest traces. The difference is, coyotes make a "living" learning which smells mean danger.

Karl

I wear rubber boots because I think they are quieter overall, especially sneaking into stands at night.. and I can spray cover scent on them if I need to (just a bit).

Rubber boots help... but you still have to breath. I have some lacross boots that are treated with scentban... I store my boots and all of my hunting gear in scent free storage bags. I then use allot of scent killer when I leave my vehicle.

The best bet is to be careful how you approach a stand... Try not to walk where you think they will come and cross your trail.

It isn't if a coyote can smell you, the main thing is how old the scent smells that is important. Coyotes will react differently to fresh human scent versus old diluted human scent. Will rubber boots help? They may, will they leave no scent nope. I walk alot when calling and would rather be comfortabole and wear my irish setters that have great support and cushion over rubber boots.

When I call,set traps,snares etc, I don't worry alot about it, I work into my setups with the wind in my favor and guard the downwind side. Trapping I just do my thing and move on. Different temps,humidity levels, cover, will all dictait how long your scent stays fresh to a coyote.

Back