Barnes XLC and Triple Shok; are they the same?

utahpredator_7

I got looking on Barnes website, and it looks like their XLC bullets are just a coated Triple Shok, is this correct? If so, which is better/cheaper and does the coating make so much of a difference? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

No they are not the same. I've used both and now just use the TSX. Same result from both on the killing end. Wrongtargets links will show the difference. Click on them.

Rocky

They are the same bullet except one is coated to reduce pressure and the other has relieve groves cut to do the same thing. From all the reports i have read the Triple Shocks with the relieve groves are more accurate .

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I guess they are the same but, different!

They are both still an X bullet design. Maybe they are the samething.

I still say no they are not. They have different load data for the different type bullets also.

RemShooter is correct

From the Barnes site:

XLC Bullets are coated with Barnes' proprietary, high-tech, XLC solid dry film lubricant that significantly reduces friction as the bullet passes through the bore. Less friction means lower pressures; as a result, XLC-coated X-Bullets can safely be loaded to higher velocities. XLC coating also reduces fouling and heat build-up, and improves accuracy. XLC is NOT molybdenum, and will not leave a coating residue in the bore.

The "XLC" is a coated "X" bullet. The "TSX" is not The same as either one. It is a different bullet. I have some experience with the .30 cal. "TSX" and they are outstanding performing bullets. My next testing is going to be the 53gr. in a 223AI.

I have both, sitting in my loading room, as I write this.

They are not the same bullet. The XLC is a coated XBT,
and the Triple Shock is an uncoated all copper bullet,
with three rings, that look similar to a cannelure ring.
The XBT is the "original" Barnes X Bullet, in a boat tail
form.

The XBT either in the uncoated version, or the coated XLC
version, are much more fussy about loading, to be accurate.
I have gotten excellent accuracy from them, in some
loadings, and chamberings, but in general I have shot a
bunch up,trying to find a load with acceptable accuracy.
WhenI find a load, they are rock solid performers.

The Triple Shock, on the other hand is much easier to
find accurate loads for, and often times, it is the
first powder that I try, that I end up using is some
pretty impressively accurate loads. The on game
preformance is equally impressive. I have a .308 Win
load, with the 130 gr. TSX, for my Savage Striker, that
is .5 MOA, and flattens northern Whitetails. I have a
100 gr. TSX load, for my .25-06 Rem, that is a lazer,
and hits deer like the Hammer of Thor. I am waiting to
see how my 300 WSM load, with 168 gr TSX bullets, work
on elk. I am expecting impressive results, too.

Squeeze

Because the barnes are solid copper they had to be longer to get the same weight as a lead core. The original XBT then had to much contact with the barrel causing high friction and high pressure. That is why they recomend a deaper seating. The new TSX have three grooves in them to reduce contact with the barrel and reduce friction. They also reduce the copper fouling quite a bit. Both come in a coated bullet but that is a whole other can of worms. Justin

when I went to the barnes factory, I think the guy said they where going to discontinue the XLC line, its very labor intensive for them to make those, they must be hand loaded on and off a machine that turns the bullet while the coating is sprayed on. It looks to me like a PIA, just use the TSX's and call it good

Has anyone tried the new Barnes MRX bullets? I think that is what they are called. They look like the TSX but have a boat tail and a polymer tip. Supposedly they are the more accurate long range version of the TSX.

Yeah, that makes load development a little spendy! All the same, the curiousity is hard to fight. I have really been wanting to try the TSX for my .25-06. I recently watched the Barnes info DVD about their TSX bullets and it makes them look pretty impressive. But even they are expensive!

The TSX aren't too expensive, about the same as any other premium bullet, but their performance is fantastic from all reports. A good friend in Canada shoots the 100gr in his .257Roberts Ultra and .25 Hunter, he's killed a bunch of deer with it and a moose, all one shot kills. They're extremely accurate and fast!! I've only shot them in my 35 Whelen Ultra, the 225gr TSX chronos at 2895fps in the 26" Whelen barrel with RL15!!

Tim

Quote:
Yeah, that makes load development a little spendy! All the same, the curiousity is hard to fight. I have really been wanting to try the TSX for my .25-06. I recently watched the Barnes info DVD about their TSX bullets and it makes them look pretty impressive. But even they are expensive!

K_V_V,

DO IT! I load the 100 gr. TSX, for my Tikka M695, in
.25-06Rem. They drop deer(northern Whitetails), like
they were struck by lightning. About the only complaint,
it there is a bunch of devestation, if one hits bone
on the way in. On one shot, where I hit a little into
the front shoulder blade, it looked like a bone frag
grenade went off in the chest cavity. I had a quartering
away shoulder shot, on another deer, that had bone fragments
in the snow, and about 5 yards long of a wide red streak,
where the buck skidded to a stop. One mean bullet.

Yes they aren't cheap. I just received a fresh box
of bullets, that cost me $27 for 50. I think I could
do a little better, with a different vendor, but at
any rate, I find the accuracy, and on game performance
worth the price.

Squeeze

Squeeze,
What are you using for a load with the Barnes? I just switched from 4831 to RL 22 and so far it shows real promise. I was getting 3/4" with the 4831 and Hornady 117gr BTSP at about 2800fps, but have been wanting to try some different combos for deer. I really like the Sierra 117gr BTS with the RL 22. I have been debating on going with the lighter 100gr bullets and upping the velocity slightly. Do you think the increased bullet performance makes up for the lighter weight bullet?
Thanks
Kyle

K_V_V,

Currently I am loading the 100 gr. TSX loads, with RL-19.
I haven't averaged my groups lately, but I am certain the
average is somewhere between .5 MOA and .4 MOA. Keep
in mind, this Tikka M695 seems to have an above average
accurate barrel.

The 100 gr. TSX is probably a bit longer than the lead
jacketed 117 gr Sierra, even though mass is less. The
all copper construction of the TSX helps with weight
retention, so from enter to exit the TSX should perform
on par with, or surpass, the 117 gr. Sierra. The difference
will come in energy transfer. When those 4 petals of the TSX
open up, serious tissue, and bone, damage occur. Having
shot Sierra bullet(130 gr.), in a .270 Win, and having
shot 100 gr. Barnes TSX bullets in this .25-06 Rem, I
have to say, "YES", the bullet performance makes up
for the lighter weight. I haven't chronied my latest
TSX load, with a slightly increased charge of RL-19,
but from the previous load, which was right at 3100 fps,
this new load should be well into the 3150 fps range.
I have shot several northern Whitetails with the previous
load, and all were impressive at autopsy. I am upping
the velocity, to see if I have reached this rifle/load/
bullet accuracy peak. These TSX bullets really like to go
fast.

Squeeze

Back