got a place with some big bolders

PurpleCoyote

I squirrell hunt a place where theres a few big bolders and the theres an area a few hundred yards away with some outcroppings I call them. Big ole flat rocks sticking out of the bank and open areas back under them. This is in big mature woods but not but about 1 mile from farm land.Its big hills and ravines too. I keep thinking it should be a good place for fox. Yes? And about fox whats their tracks look like? I saw one pic that I think was fox tracks but to me it just looked like coyote tracks but alot smaller and narrower.
Daryl P.

Purple , I also hunt in a places with lots of rock outcrops. One area has dozens of these shallow "caves".
They look like this.
001_024.jpg

Note the coyote tracks exiting at bottom/center.
He entered the overhang from the left.
I back tracked him through several other nearby caves.
I am sure this coyote knows he can jump a small animal under them.
I check out almost every one I see.
Many of them would be a good shelter for a person.
The most common thing I see under these is chewed up pine cones, acorns,seeds etc. from squirrels and chipmunks probably.
I also see droppings from grouse.
I have never seen any evidence of a fox or coyote spending a lot of time under them.
There is not much soil in these to dig out a good den and they are kind of shallow and exposed.
I have a bunch of pictures of boulder caves that I will post soon.
After the next snowfall you could check for fox tracks hunting your boulder caves.
PC

Last edited:
Small and narrow, sounds like a grey fox. A red is more round than a coyote. The grey's foot is a little different than a red. They hunt the sunny hillsides and rock piles when it is colder, and snowy.T.20

Back