distance fox can hear?

They both hear quite well. Coyote way better than a Red, IMO.
--------------------------

This am, spotted a balled-up coyote. Coyote was on the North side, 1/2 down on a big picked bean hill, sleeping. Wind rippin out of the SSE 20-25.

I slowly & quitely stalked & then crawled quartering in from the coyote's SW. I slowly crested a hill roughly 400yrds away. Coyote was still laying, but staring a hole in the top of my head. As I took a peek, on his status.

When their [fox & coyote] laying in a dead air space, out of a howling wind. I don't believe they miss much of any noise that pass's bye. Especially a coyote.

Especially if you are approaching from the wind side. It really helps to carry the sound. Had simular experiences with fox and coyote. I'm sure they didn't smell me, they heard me move.T.20

I was out hunting a few years ago, and I was spotting for rabbits from the top of a hill and when I finally spotted one, I grabbed my drop chart(folded up piece of paper) and as I opened it up quietly the rabbit perked up and honed in on the sound of opening it up. It was a hair over 300 yards, them animals can really hear. The sound did not bother him, but he did hear me. But there are lots of variables.

I was once hunting in a wash in se arizona. When I saw a grey fox coming my way, he was about 100-150 yds away. I could have easily killed him, but wanted him to come closer.I occasionally eat sunflower seeds when i hunt, with my mouth shut, I cracked a sunflower seed. That fox instantly LOCKED in on me. Heck, I was shocked that he heard that. He couldnt see me cause my camo,and i was motionless, but he must a got a bad vibe and took off. Them suckers have awesome hearing!

Back