Remington 7400 owners......opinions

Hidalgo

I'm going to add another mid-caliber rifle to the brood (ain't this FUN!) and was looking at the 7400 today with the black synthetic stock. I need some input on this rifle.

I dearly LOVE the BAR, but for the difference in funds, I can live with the Remmy (I think). I owned a 742 way-back-when in a 30-06, and it was acceptable as far as accuracy goes. I am looking at the 7400 in either a 308 or a 243.

I don't want or need another bolt gun. An autoloader is coming next.

Any current / past owners with opinions?

The Remington 742's IMO never shot very well, but some of then did. The few Remington 760/7600 I have shot were 1 inch shooters with handloads (257R & 270) and 1 1/2 inch guns with factory ammo.

If you want something different in your safe look at the Remington 7600 pump. My primary complaint with the 7600
is the ejection port hole is to short for seating the bullets out far enough for the long throat the 270 win.

Skip the Remington semi-auto and go for the Remington pump gun! The 7600 is such a good rifle I can't believe Remington still makes a semi-auto.

Hello Hidalgo, I'm like you.. Wanted a BAR but the $800.00 out the door price was just too hard to take. I opted for a Rem 7400 in .243. It's the satin finished walnut and polished blue metal. I got it out the door at Gander for just over $500..
I too had heard the horror stories about the Remington Auto loaders but decided to risk it.
I topped it with a Nikon 3-9 buckmaster scope and took it to the range. Of course the trigger pull was heavy but better than one of my Model 700's. A Timney fixed the 700 but the 7400 is going to be different.
It quickly became apparent that it did not like light bullets. It would group 75 to 85 grainers into 2 to 3 inch groups. With 100 grain bullets from several makers though it settled down and shot just over an inch. Winchester silver box 100 grain PSP's shot best from my rifle. So far I've shot about 100 rounds of factory ammo through the rifle and it has not malfunctioned yet. Just be sure when you chamber a round that you let the bolt go forward sharply or it may not lock up. It's getting broke in now so I'll try the lighter bullets again and see if there's any change. All in all I'd say I'm satisfied with the rifle so far.

Hope this helps.. Coyote 6974

I think the Remington pump gun carbine 30/06 might be the best "brush gun" around.
I like the idea of the Auto too, I like the look of the 35 Whelen in one.
And just to throw out another opinion, I much prefer the Reminton to the BAR.
Carl

Rail battering is a common problem for the 7400. Doesn't happen to all of them, however, many 7400's bolt's eat the bolt rails quickly enough that some report only about 800 rounds until the gun is worn to the point that it can no longer function. It's a fact, and it happens often enough that it is a commonly occuring problem for this rifle. I wouldn't take a chance on one. Many gunshops won't take a used one on a trade-in because of this condition. There are even a few gunsmiths that will gladly accept about $400.00 to convert your worn out 7400 to pump gun 7600 status when the event occurs. That gives you a $1,000.00 Remington pump gun... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The saving feature is that almost no game hunting rifle will get 800 rounds shot through it in even 2 persons lifetime. Most big game rifles will see less than 400 rounds in 40 years.

Jack

If you want a 7400, buy it now as Remington has discontinued them. The new and improved version is now called the 750 Woodsmaster. A substantial increase in the price tag to boot.

The saga of the Big Green autoloaders is a funny one. Seems folks either love or hate them. The word "jam-o-matic" came from thier guns. I have had them all at one time or another.... Models 7,74,740,742,7400. Never had any issues with any cept the 742s eating the rails. I have an all original minty 74 ( thats right two digits) in .30-06 that you couldnt buy from me at any price as it is a true MOA shooter.... a rare critter indeed.

As far as the 760/7600.... I will reserve my pump actions for shotguns.

My dad and my brother both own 7400's. Both have taken many deer and elk. Both shoot under 1.5", groups wich for a semi-auto hunting rifle firing factory rounds is good accuracy as far as I'm concerned. They've never had a problem out of them. Oh, both rifles are in 30-06. Just some more info to roll over.
bullpup

I won a nice 7400, in .270 Win, at a DU banquet, and it
was reliable, and an MOA shooter with a favorite handload.
I read about the rail problem, and since I am a fairly
high volume shooter, and my brother is not, I sold it
to him for the "trade-in" price. I then put up the
extra cash, for the BAR. I never had any issues with
the 7400, and it actually exceeded my expectations for
accuracy. I was just concerned about wearing it out.
Both my brother and I are happy with our choices.

I do have a Rem 760 pump, in .30-06 Sprg, that I inherited
from my Father. It is a 1 MOA rifle, but I am not a
pump gun guy. It kind of starts the pump action, on the
recoil, of the .30-06 round, but it takes me a millisecond
to remember to complete the cycle. Definitely faster than
a bolt gun, but the pumping action interrupts my
swing on running deer. It is rock solid reliable, in
nasty conditions, and I would use it for ice and snow
storms, if I ever have my BAR fail in those conditions.
So far the BAR has been rock solid reliable, too.

I guess one has to decide what one wants over a bolt gun,
in a pump, or auto loading rifle. If almost 100%
reliablility, with little to no concern about regular
cleaning, is a requirement, then I would suggest the
pump maybe the better choice, and practice getting
a good swing, with the pumping action. For me, I
keep my guns clean, and properly lubed for cold weather,
and really put alot of stock in letting the rifle
chamber a new round while I focus on the target.

Squeeze

Jack,
You're right, the average once a year deer hunter won't reach that level because at most he'll shoot one or two boxes of ammo per year. And that is Remington's market niche for their semi-auto rifle. The more dedicated shooter/hunter/handloader may shoot 800 rounds in one year from one of their "deer rifles." These guys often look to something other than the Remington semi-auto. Regarding the "new and improved" M750, there hasn't been anything that would lead one to believe that Remington has addressed the battering of the bolt rails. Seems sort of like the "new and improved" Ruger Mini 14... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well CRAP!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You guys have talked me into waiting a few weeks and spending MORE $$$$ on the Browning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I don't want a pump. Never liked them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hey GC.....can I borrow a couple hundred? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously.....thanks for all the info. You fellas may have saved me some frustration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I picked up a NIB 7400 at Walmart for $200 in 30-06.
Shoots 165gr corelokt just fine. Got a Burris fulfield II off Ebay, I have a nice setup for under $400. Been happy with mine.

Hidalgo,

I can't help with the loan, but IMHO, this is a wiser
play. I REALLY like my BAR Stalker, in .308 Win.
The BAR is easy to maintain, very reliable, and mine
excedes my expectations for accuracy. There are
a couple of demerits, though. First the trigger
sucks. It is adjustable, but the travel isn't, or
isn't sufficiently adjustable. Most of my other
rifles are down to about 1-1.5 lbs, and minimal
travel, so I am spoiled. And the other issue I
have with it is the box magazine, that
mounts to the floor plate. One would really have
to try to loose this magazine, but with that safety,
comes the extra step of taking the box magazine off
the floor plate, loading it, re-installing it on the
floor plate, and then closing the floor plate. This
issue is a minor one, but it is an issue, for this
old load the mag, and slap it home, dog. I suspect
it is some lawyer induced plot to eliminate after
market higher capacity magazines. I believe there
is a vendor that sells BARs, that have been modified
to accept real custom slap it home 10 round mags, for
law enforcement/military sniper applications, but I don't
dislike that "feature" that much, that I would pay the price
for a custom modified BAR.

I hunt in heavy cover mixed with small farm fields.
This rifle, loaded with fast powders, and 130 gr. TSX
bullets, gets close to 3000 fps, and puts them into
sub MOA groups off the bench. So, with a 2-7x Bushnell
3200, mounted on look under mounts, I can shoot 10 to
300 yards. For deer too close for the scope, or
hauling butt under 75 yards, I use the iron sights, and
for anything else, I use the scope. This rifle is my
idea of the perfect brush country deer rifle...In need
of a better trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Squeeze

I dont know how much they cost or anything else about them, but what about a winchester SXR . Nice looking rifle and if it's half as reliable as my SX 2 it would be a keeper.

just thinking outloud.

Last edited:
Squeeze,
I don't remove the magazine from the floorplate on my two BAR rifles. I just open the floorplate and push the cartridges into the magazine and then snap the floorplate closed. Just don't have the need to remove it and reinstall it then snap the floorplate shut. BTW, there are some gunsmiths that will work on the BAR trigger group and do passable work. Timney is one of them. No, you're not going to get a match grade trigger, however, it can be a significant improvement. Just FYI...

Its about the same magazine set up as the A bolts, I have read on this board about how fast the set up is. LOL, droping the floor plate getting the mag off, putting on a new one and closing it.
Really, how important is fast reloads on a hunting rifle??

anyway I am sure you will love your big bore auto rifle, just something attractive about that idea. 30/06 power as
fast as you can pull the trigger. YEEE HAWWW!!

I might need one too!!
Carl

My Remington jammed miserably. They earned that nickname jamomatic. The Browning has a good rep for reliability & performing.

GC,

Thanks for the info on the triggers. I had mine apart
last night, hoping to do something myself, since I do
some shade tree gunsmithing. Short of lengthening
the trigger sear, I can't see an easy way to take up
the travel. I have polished the surfaces, and rubbed
moly grease into the mating surfaces, and that makes
it travel smoother, but it almost feels like a two
stage with tension through the first stage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I will have to give Timney a call.

As for loading the box magazine, while still on the
floor plate, I do that when I am shooting on the bench,
but in the field, I usually just pull the box mag off the
floor plate, and extract the round from the chamber.
There is no getting that silly box mag, quickly mounted
on the floor plate, or even loading it, while on the
floor plate. Like I said, this is a minor issue, but
I would really prefer a slap it home mag port, for
quicker loading.

The way this auto-magic rifle shoots, I will put up
with it's few, and minor demerits.

Squeeze

Back