Remington 788 22-250?

Sawtooth

I'm planning to hunt coyotes this winter with my Remington Model 788 in 22-250. I haven't used it for such, or much of anything else except shooting on my range at home. It was a gift from my dad about two years ago. Is anyone out there using this rifle for predators? What optics are you using? Any input is much appreciated!

My brother has an old 788 22-250. He put a nikon 3x9x40 on it and brought it over for me to get it to shoot. Normaly i would have floated the barrel and worked on the trigger. I figured i would i shoot it first, glad i did . the gun just started tearing the paper up, i mean 1/2" groups tearing up, with factory ammo. i gave him the gun back and told him just to shot it. Hated to give it back though.

For all else Run what you brung! the old gun ROCKS!

You will get some replys on this one. The "old" 788 will hold its own with anything out there. There is a definate following for that weapon. It will do very well for your planned activities. As far as the optics check out some of the other threads, there are a lot of opinions on the optics.

Last edited:
In my way of thinking, none better. I have a 4-12 Bushnell on mine and it shoots great. Get after it is the only thing I can say. I handload mine with 55gr. Hornady's and IMR 4895. Does all I want.

788's are excellent rifles, just a little on the plain side for most folks. They are good shooters and ge the job done. Scopes are more of a personal choice. For me, it depends on the type of area I will be hunting. Close range 4.5-14, long range 6.5-20.

my brother is using a 788 in 22-250 with a old 2-7 weaver on it. i personally love the rifle. i have a ruger 77VT, but i'm currently looking for something similar to the 788. if i ever find one, i'm going to buy it. they're not long on looks, but they're definitely long on performance.

I use to have one in the 22-250.
The rifle shot good once I modified it. When I had the bullets seated to 15 thousands from riflings they wouldn't fit the magazine. When I seated them deeper then groups opened up to 3/4's.

I fixed this problem by cutting a slot in the magazine so the loaded rounds would fit @ the 15 thousands off the rifling...it worked very well from then on.

Back