National Coyote Calling Champion

David Krien

Les Johnson, of www.predatorquest.com won it for the 5th time. Look at this championship resume, this is impressive:

1994 - 6th Place, Wyoming State Coyote Calling Championship
1996 - 3rd Place, National Coyote Calling Championship, Rawlins WY
1997 - 1st Place, National Coyote Calling Championship
1998 - 2nd Place, National Coyote Calling Championship
1999 - 1st Place, National Coyote Calling Championship
1999 - 1st Place, World Coyote Calling Championship, Elko NV
1999 - TRIPLE CROWN CHAMPION
1999 - Sportsman of the Year
2000 - 1st Place, Midwest Coyote Calling Championship, St. Francis KS
2000 - 2nd Place, National Coyote Calling Championship
2000 - 9th Place, World Coyote Calling Championship
2001 - 2nd Place, World Coyote Calling Championship, Cortez CO
2001 - 1st Place, Midwest Coyote Calling Championship
2001 - 7th Place, National Coyote Calling Championship
2001 - Coyote Caller of the Year
2002 - 1st Place, National Coyote Calling Championship
2003 - 1st Place, National Coyote Calling Championship
2004 - 5th Place, National Coyote Calling Championship
2005 - 2nd Place, Midwest Coyote Calling Championship
2006 – 1st Place, National Coyote Calling Championship

Hands down he has to be the best coyote caller there is!! We are sponsors of his show and if you haven’t seen his T.V. show and/or Video’s you have too; they are a pure reflection of how good he is ( www.predatorquest.com ).
I didn’t get the particulars on the Nationals however, hopefully Les will let us know when he returns. I assume he is traveling back today so we may not get the information right away. Thanks, Dave.

David Krien
President
Coyote Jakes, Inc.

Last edited:
Les just blew everyone away with twenty coyotes for the 2-day hunt! Un-freaking-beleivable!! It sure pays to have access to a target rich environment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Can't wait for the details.
Hope he was using a Rhino Call.
Sounds like all that coaching from David paid off.
That's as impressive as it gets.

I went out this weekend with Lance and we called in at least 20 coyotes but only saw 3 of them.
Actually we called in more deer than coyotes.

Congratulations Les.
It's always good to hear that the winner is one of the good guys.

Unbelievable and consistent resume. Unbelievably nice guy, to boot!

Hoping he was blowing a TT call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congrats Les.

Tony

Ummmm Wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thats great, and its good to hear he's a good fella to boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Anyone know what the National champs gun and caliber of choice is?

I knew he was a champion, but didn't know he had that many titles on his resume!! WOW!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And to think, I only dream of being a VERY small fraction as good...someday! [I hope} /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I'm gonna back everything that has been said. He is a pleasure to know as well as watch. Awesom man, congrats Les!!! couldn't be a better guy.

Congrats Les.

Winning calling contest on such a consistent basis as Les has is not only a testament to his skills as a caller but also having the total package as a contest hunter. You not only have to have access to good areas to call (which takes work to put together) but you also have to have the skills as a hunter, caller, and marksman to put the coyotes in the back of the truck. To do all these things well under the constraints of time takes careful planning and strategy as well. I’ve never got into the contest hunts but have guided hunts for years so I know the work involved in putting together good access and the pressures of working under time constraints. My hats off to you Les, your success is well deserved.

Thanks for the update Dave.

Byron

I too would like to congratulate Les on another job WELL DONE!!! The dedication and passion this man has for the sport of calling deffinatley shows through. You can't argue with success!

GREAT JOB MY FRIEND!!!

Thank you all for your compliments and support!
A little about how the hunt transpired:
I have never called where we ended up hunting for this contest and never had any time to scout, just have seen a few dogs over the last few years out there. I hunted 100% on public land and was amazed by the response and number of coyotes.
My partner and I called and shot 9 coyotes on the first day. 20-30 mph winds all day. Usually saw the coyotes within the first 3 minutes of calling.
I missed one coyote at about 400 yards and my partner missed a bonus dog at 70 yards and a shotgun 20 yard dog several times.
The second day, we managed to kill 11 coyotes by 11:55 am. We killed a triple on the first stand and a double on the 2nd stand. Then the wind came up to 25-30 mph and the calling was tougher.
I called every stand and ended up shooting 15 of the coyotes, 9 of them with the shotgun. My partner shot 5 and several of those were back door coyotes that I would’ve never seen.
Thanks again!

As far as I know, it is the longest running coyote calling contest in the U.S. 17 years to be exact.
It is and has always been held in Rawlins, Wyoming.
Thanks Nebr Coyote Hunter!

Congratulations Les. Sounds like a fun two days of hunting. I enjoyed watching your Predator Quest video and can't wait for the next one!

Very nice Les. Sounds like alot of hard work, and for the time constraints involved, you had to hussle no doubt.

Congrats on a job well done................ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Les, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif a HUGE congrats goes out to you!!!! I cant wait for that new video to come out in the next few months. Always a pleasure talking with you as you are a great guy with a wealth of information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
-Nick

Back