Ladders???

d2admin

Administrator
Alright I have a question about something new I heard recently. Sitting way up high on a dang ladder with your rear hanging out in the breeze for every stray coyote that comes along to see..
Whats the deal?
I hunt a lot of brush, and while I am not desperately searching for anything I truly enjoy trying new things. AND I am going to try this.
I just want to shorten the learning curve a bit here. I know that if I wanted to I could call a coyote in and kill him while wearing a pink bunny suit and jumping rope, then I could put up a site promoting and selling bunny suits! But I am wondering if this technique is really an assett or just a better view of the ones that DIDN'T spook and slip away.
I would appreciate any input on this, if this is no bueno then someone please let me know before I fall off a dang ladder somewhere.

You're in luck. We happen to have the Worlds foremost Ladder expert with us, Michael McCasland.

Michael, can you please tell us about that cool dismount you demonstrated at the Tom Mix hunt?
biggrin.gif

You never have a video camera when you need one!
smile.gif

Howler it sounds as if you are trying to call in sweeter game than I.
With my track record in that department you want to avoid any contact with me like the plague. Don't even look at my name it's voodoo I swwear.

Craig Hamilton,

So your interested in using a ladder to call predator? That tells me your of above average intelligence and willing to try something different.

First off let's clear up a few points.

The first thing you need to do is get a pair of camo pants. If you intend on calling with your rear hangng out from the top of a ladder, well how can I put this? It can't be a pretty sight. Second if this discussion of ladders goes like all the others I've read there will be some that say this technique is "No Bueno". However, I find their view to be short sighted. Third, you will fall off a ladder sooner or latter.

I'vew been using a ladder for a few years now and probalby 90% of the stands I make I use my ladder. The use of ladders has been going on here in Southern Arizona and in paticular with members of the Southern Arizona Wildlife Caller for at least a coulpe of decades. Tim Behle mentioned Michael J. McCasland. Michael speaks long and well about the use and design of a calling ladder. I'm sure he will show up soon and give you more information on the subjuct.

Have a nice view.

Bill

Since I bought the penthouse blind I threw
away the ladder love being on the ground!!
My success ratio has improved a lot.

------------------

Whether it works or not, I don't know. But I do know that I am far too lazy to pack a damn ladder around in the brush. I try to pick slightly elevated places to call from. And as often as I lose stuff while out calling, I can't afford to scatter ladders all over Wyoming, although I have scattered calls, gloves, knives, etc. I think you could open your own sporting goods store just by following me around and picking up the stuff I lose.

Cal Taylor--I used to lose stuff, too. But now I carry everything in a small nylon/canvas backpack the color of which should match your terrain. This includes skinning equipment, calls in plastic containers, extra ammo, a snack that is relatively freeze resistant (nuts, raisins, m&m, etc)--the whole works. All I have to do is double check my stuff as I put it back in the pack to make sure I didn't leave something. When I pick up the pack, I have it all. No pack, I don't have anything. At least for me all the equipment has to be completely "idiot proof" or I got big trouble.

Ok.. Ok.. I admit it... I haven't tried the ladder thing ... YET ! Mostly cause I've been using a 4wheeler to get around the desert to hunt...

Speaking of losing things... other day I was haulin A$$ around on my ATV... and stopped to glass.. when I noticed my pack felt strange... so I took it off .. low and behold... it was EMPTY seems it had opened ! Hmmm... took me 2 hours to follow my tracks back and pick all my stuff up..
frown.gif

--Steve

Thanks silverfox
It worked that time.I think I might have to give those ladders a try.It seems logical enough but I'm not sure how much i'll like carring the thing around.But i figure you gotta try it before you knock it.

Later,
Justin

Jbrad--yeah, I think ladders are worth a try if you have territory similar to that illustrated on Desert Fox's Web site about ladders. The visibility is sure improved from the top of that ladder. Like you, though, I don't relish the idea of carrying a ladder a half mile to a calling location. I am still inclined to walk (without carrying a ladder) to a spot I can see from, lay down, and call from there.

Good luck with the ladder and let us know how it works out for you. Give us some pictures if you try it.

Back