Eastern Coyotes

DrDune

Here is a Web page concerning radio collaring and tracking coyotes on Cape Cod put together by grad student Jonathan G. Way at Boston College that maybe of interest to you ladies and gents.

The Eastern Coyote

Well, well. Very interesting reading of results from a recent study and analysis of coyote behaviour. Interesting comment on the reproductive capabilities of coyote/wolf hybrids, as well. Then again, you know how those PHD's are. They think they know everything.

My hat is off to anyone who can catch a coyote in a box trap. I think it said that he caught the same 11 coyotes 16 times. Musta been the "D" students of that coyote population.

It seems to me that he is part of the "we just all need to get along" anti-hunting persuasion. It is still an interesting study, although not much new in it. It mostly confirms what we already knew.

DrDune-Thanks for posting the link!

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

Bob, I didn't read the whole thing in detail but was wondering about the same thing as you. Some of those shots with him holding the drugged coyotes looked a bit on the cute side.

Any of you ever been to the cape? he is right about one thing there are a million coyotes their. I spent a week in a wooded area and they walked around the place day and night like we were'nt there. They are also protected there, thats why there is so damn many of them. I told the wife the next we go, so is the bow. What the hell give me something to do while she shops.

Shotokan

It is interesting to see that in both Cpae Cod, and in ND- the average coyote travelled about the same amount of distance each night- around 10+ miles- with a high of over 20 miles in one night......trappnman

------------------
Your American Heritage- Fur Trapping, Hunting and Fishing

An interesting study for sure. It's interesting to see that a lot of coyote behavior is very similar no matter where they occur. Things like territorial behavior, family social structures, nocturnal movement patterns, and distances moved really never seem to change a great deal whether the coyotes are in very remote areas or in surburban/urban areas.

The article must have been written for the public, because parts of it sound like he is playing with his cousins. Scientific publications would demand a lot of the "debris" be removed. The success with box traps may be related to the apparent lack of fear these coyotes have to being around lots of people and man-made structures, etc. I would like to see how successful they are in more remote areas.

Very interesting none the less.

Back