Pros & Cons: Commercial 1951 FN Mauser Wildcat Project

Mr. Mister

I had a 1951 Sears and Roebuck Model 50 built off a commercial FN Mauser action fall into my lap, it was chambered in 270.

I have decided to build a wildcat 6mm off this action.

I have posted here a few times asking for direction on my project but never specifically referred to this action as the heart of the gun.

All my research says this is a solid action built to the commercial tolerances of the time.

Do any of you have experience or knowledge of this action, and is it up to screwing and bolting on close to $1500 worth of wildcat gear?

I know there are better modern actions-I specifically asking about this one. Am I wasting my money?

Thanks,

Steve

You will never "waste" your money if you don't expect to ever get it back if you ever tried to sell it. Sporterized Mausers, unless done by a very good gunsmith, will hardly ever get their value increased very much. There's a limit I would have to guess at about $350-400 just by my many trips to gunsamerica.com. To answer your question about the action, FNs were considered to be a very good commercial action. Santa Barbaras, which are a Spanish version, were ok, not great though. You are the only one that has to be happy with it and if you want to put that kind of money into it and have something unique, go for it. Just one man's humble opinion. Good luck.

This is a commercial Mauser action right? Not something pulled off a mil surp rifle? If it is one of the fine actions FN built in the 1950's then you are good to go with it just make sure whomever is doing the rebarrel and chamber know there stuff and make sure the polishing prior to reblueing is propperly done. For a rifle like that you want the deep mirror polish blueing.And custom stocking. That will go a long way towards putting the value in the rifle that you want and to keeping it.
You did not say if you are building this as an investment or an heirloom, so that is somthing you need to consider also.

This is a 100% commercial action imported by Sears from FN.

It is not MILSURP.

If this action can do what the new ones can or be resonably close than I want to build on it. If not I don't want to sink a lot of money into it.

As for the gun-I'll hand it down to my son (with a burnt barrel of course!).

You have a great action! Have a reputable 'smith do the work and you will have a fine rifle. What 6mm wildcat are you going to barrel it for? My vote would be the 6mm/06, (not that you asked for my input) I have had very good luck with it.
Bob

MR MR,
It not as important what we think but ask your gunsmith what he thinks. Especially it’s intended for precision type of shooting. I know a lot of custom rifle builder (the good ones anyway) refuse or charge extra to build rifle on the Mauser type of actions, including the Ruger M77. I asked this question on another forum a few years back, the conclusion was, it’s a lot of extra work involved to get one to shoot, the action is also handicapped by limited bedding surface. One better off apply the higher build cost towards a more desirable action.
I love the Argentine Mauser, I always make the effort to stop & admire the craftsmanship when I come across one, in my opinion it’s the best Mauser ever and I would like to build a dangerous game rifle on one some day.

I have talked to a smith in Oregon, Skaggs, who is a reputable Mauser expert who has built many a gun on commercial and MILSURP Mauser actions.

He said my 1951 Sears & Roebuck Model 50 FN Mauser was one of the finest actions based on the Mauser ever produced, past and present. So I think I will proceed with my build.

As for calibers I have been all over the map. I started out with the 6mm-06, 6mm-284, 6.5mm-284, 6.5mm-06, 6mm Dasher, and now I am looking into the 6mm-47 Lapua. Everything I’m reading on the first three I mentioned indicates they are barrel burners where the Dasher and the Lapua are not.

The Dasher will require a lot of brass preparation whereas the Lapua brass can be necked down from a commercially available 6.5mm -47 Lapua.

As for the value of the gun-that wasn’t ever a concern. I just didn’t want to bolt Cadillac parts on a Volkswagen action.

My next research is barrel manufacturers, types, and length.

Please keep the comments coming, I'm learning a lot from you all!

Back