Foxy_tracks trip to Texas

guess

I met Bethe {foxy_tracks} on a hunting forum and we eventually discussed her coming to Texas to hunt with me and Michelle.She arrived on Friday afternoon and we all headed to our range to do some target shooting ,it didn't take her but a few shots to get used to my .243.
She was here for predators but with 30 mph plus winds we decided to try for some hogs instead.It didn't take us long to get some coming our way,Bethe free handed got on the lead hog and shot,we followed blood and bone fragments for 1/4 of a mile then just lost the trail.We hated to give it up ,but decided we best move on.We had a huge and very upset boar giving us a cussing from thick cover shortly after that ,but being in such tight quarters we decided to give him space and see if we could get one out in the open.With dark closing in quick we heard one coming,as he crossed the trail Bethe quickly got on him and fired.I listened carefully for him to crash and thought I could hear him go down. We made our way back to the truck and got some lights for trailing,I found only small amounts of blood ,so walked to where I thought I heard him fall and there he laid.
We later got into some good coon action, killed three and called it a night.
Early the next morning things didn't start off good the wind was blowing a lot harder than it was supposed to be and the gate to the place I wanted to hunt was locked.We got busted by two coyotes coming in from the other way.
we moved to another place and got some response but the farmer decided to drive around checking cows and messed that stand up.
We decided to try another spot,we hadn't been calling long when a coyote came from our down wind side, past the truck to 20 yards in front of Michelle.Michelle missed ,the coyote took off ,I switched the Foxpro to coyote in distress and the coyote stopped at about 120 yards.Bethe made good on the shot right behind the shoulder,the coyote ran about 30 yards and piled up.This was her first Texas coyote and her first called coyote.We then moved to another place ,got set up and started calling ,it was now 11:30 am.In just a few minutes we saw something coming ,I was hesitant to believe it was a coyote due to it's size,the thing was huge! He came to within about 70 yards ,Bethe pulled the trigger and nothing happened! Michelle handed Bethe her rifle but the coyote was gone.She said "I blew it" ,I told her to stay calm he might come back.Sure enough he did,but kept hanging up with no chance for a shot ,I changed the sound to a raccoon and cottontail fighting and he broke loose! He stopped at about 110yards and Bethe was able to put him down! He was huge indeed 55 pounds and a young dog at that,no more than 3 for sure! we broke for the day to go skin Bethe's coyotes.
We made another stand that evening after about 20 minutes on stand I decided it was time to move on ,when I saw a coyote out about 300 yards,and very timid acting,I changed sounds and she moved closer,but still wasn't sure.I changed again to the coon and cottontail,she dropped off in a ditch and tried to get down wind of us,she stopped at about 90 yards and Bethe put the smack down on her! Classic bang flop!
We called all the next day and never saw another coyote until night fall and that one got our wind before she could get on it!
Bethe is one of the better hunters I've had the privilege of taking out,she adjusts quickly to our way of hunting and hit everything she shot at,she's not to fond of having a charging hog coming her way in near darkness though!
We had a heck of a time,but I told Bethe she had to stay in PA ,because with her around in 6 months her and Michelle would eradicate all of my game!
bethe+and+Michelle+175_+pound+hog+10-27-06.jpg

bethe+me+coons+10-27-06.jpg

bethe+michelle+1st+coyote+10-28-06.jpg

bethe+big+coyote+10-28-06.jpg

group+big+coyote+10-28-06.jpg

30 pound coyote 55 pound coyote
bethe+2+coyotes+std+10-28-06.jpg

differance in normal coyote head and the 55 pounders head
big+coyote+head+06.jpg

bethe+3rd+coyote+10-27-06.jpg

we converted her!
Bethe+Guess+06.jpg

Sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
big+coyote+head+06.jpg

That is a Amazing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What a brute!

Quote:
Bethe pulled the trigger and nothing happened!

What did happen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I think it needs a good cleaning,I rarely clean the works because afterwards It takes half a box of shells to get it fouled again for good shooting.it has always shot better dirty but every once in a while I'll get gunk in the bolt that throws a kink in things,it was either that or a bad primer.I'm doubting it was the primer!

Glad she had a good hunt.

That's one pretty hog and that's a dandy coyote.

I killed a smokey grey 52 lb coyote a few years back. They are amazing critters when they get that big. I didn't have one to compare to side by side like you did though. They look even more amazing that way!

What a great mixed bag trip and a huge coyote. Good to see Foxy is converted to the Guess image. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Great post Glenn.

Tony

It sure was one awesome trip. It was the most action packed 2 and a half days of my life! It was hard to get on the plane and leave you and Michelle behind after having a REAL wild weekend. ( I miss her, by the way!)

My Texas safari spent with the Guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif family is one I won't ever forget. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to hunt with people that share the same lifestyle as me.

The terrain where you are is just as bad, if not even worse than some of the thickest stuff we have here in PA. Everything stabs and sticks ya, you can't see a foot in front of your face, unless you are crawling around like some jungle cat, there are big rolling hills and ditches, areas that hold grasses that appear knee high until you get down to them only to find that it is above your head. In fact where it is open, then you got barbwire to wrestle with. I can't figure out what tore me up the most, the thick stuff or the barbwire. It was worth it, though.

It is ok to tell everyone that the huge hog that kept "growling" at us and stopped me in my tracks, freaked me out, bad. I didn't know anything about hunting hogs, until I got down there and when I heard that pig, it was instantly clear that he was equivalent to a mean tempered 400+lb. hornet. Of course Glenn provoking him and calling back at him, only fired him up more....shaking up my nerves and rattling my bones. I was never so scared and felt so alive...at the same time. He was not to be messed with, by me and the .243. We never did see that monster because it was just too thick, however...he was indeed close and only about one more call away to come-a-charging at us.

The coyote hunting was supreme. From my too short and sweet experience, I find no evidence of "dumb" or "stupid" coyotes in TX...we are just slicker then they are. I plan on using the knowledge I acquired from Glenn and Michelle, and apply the tactics to the way I hunt here in PA. We don't have the amount of coyotes that Glenn and Michelle have in their area, but there are a few around. That raccoon/cottontail fighting sound was icing on the cake. The coyotes just couldn't resist wanting to come check it out.

I had an amazing time with Glenn and Michelle. I wish all the predator hunters, sure fire success this hunting season. Thanks, Glenn and Michelle for your time and efforts. It was a blast, literally. I will have many good stories to tell for the rest of my life and I can tell you that the more I talk about that hog that was going to eat us, the bigger he is going to be. He could have been kin to Hogzilla!

Sounds like a great time foxy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif That coyote was a monster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

John

Back