DIY Lightweight shooting table

SamSpade

normal_BenchLite.jpg

This lightweight shooting table you can build yourself for under $50. The stool you can get at Gander Mountail for about $12. The legs are from Midg-ett for under $40 shipped and the 3/4" plywood top for under $10. The weight of the table alone is only 12 lbs. The stool straps to the bottom of the table for easy carry. I built this table because I needed something light for easy carry and quickly setup for prairie dog shooting. You can setup the whole thing in less than a minute. Table isn't rock solid but is as stable as other folding legs tables I have seen.

Looks NICE!!

Thanks for the info. More money we save.......more powder we can burn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ive build mine out of scrap. Ive picked up 2 sets of banquet table legs on trash day and the wood I already have. Id guess my bench is about 25-30#. Mine is made with a 1" plywood top and then a stiffener board running down the middle that also raises up the perches for the locking rods so it splayes the legs out a little. Mine is also hugely oversized so I can use it as a workbench/mini picinik table. I did not bother extending the legs up and I have 2 stools just like yours that match the bench height very well. The solidness of the table is the whole idea to me, if its shakey you might be better off on the ground with a short harris bipod, if you can see. I still have a second set of legs i just found a few weeks ago and an old sheet of 3/4 oak ply. Im planning on doubling the plywood and building another one. Ill post some pics tomarrow.

I didn't say it was rock solid, it's cheap, easy to build, quickly set up and lightweight.

If I want rock solid I use this one with double 3/4" plywood top and 1-1/2" pipe legs. But I don't carry it around and it doesn't set up quickly.

normal_BenchPort.jpg

I love DIY projects. Here's mine. I origionally wanted to boild a very heavy long range bench with alum pipe legs like your second pic but I had trouble finding the flanges and for free this bench does really well.
99a.jpg

99a.jpg

I also have a tripod gun rest that holds my spotter at the same time, I have yet to shoot from it though, So im not sure how steady it is.

Robbor, good looking table and I like your idea of the extra block on the rear support to cant the legs out!! Incidently you can get the legs like yours at Harbor Frieght for about $20.

For those of you who are thinking about building one, look at the cutout for the shooter in Robbor's and my heavy table versus the cutout in my light table. I found that with the cutout to big you have trouble swinging your rifle and rear bag for the shots that are off to the right because you are now off the table with the buttstock.

When I was origionally building the bench, the plan
was to splay the legs to the correct angle then screw
the stop/support to the bench but as I recall it would
not allow the legs to close fully. So the next best
thing that would allow the legs to close was to add a
block. I did not get to angle them as much as i wanted but its better than nothing. Both of my sets of legs were FREE! Way better than $20 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
I saw you posted over at VH and ther is a link to a bench with adjustable legs, that would be nice, but im just a simple fool, and i already spend way to much money on toys.

More DIY projects:
99a.jpg
99a.jpg
3a8.jpg

The back saddle on the tripod rest did get trimmed lower for cheek clearance

Last edited:
Guys,
I stumbled onto this post on Friday and look what's finished in my garage today! Couldn't stand it and had to build my very own pdog shooting bench out of some scrap wood I had laying around the shop. Found the plans on the web by Googling "shooting bench". Can't wait to get out and give it a try.

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

Mine isn't lightweight but it is very portable. I just drop my tailgate on my F350, put some hearing protection on, deploy my bipod, and put a sand bag down for the buttstock to sit on, voila...instant shooting table. Although it sucks when shooting a heavy magnum.

Mike,

That looks great. Wrap it up with Christmas paper and you have my address. Man, what a sweet early Christmas present. You shouldn't have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Greg, I'll make you a deal. When you come down Pdog hunting you can take one back with you. I like bartering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Nice table, are the legs fairly stable? I might try to build me one like that.
I have a industrial strength tripod that I mounted a Shooters ridge steady rest on that works ok, but a table is more stable.

Jimmy

Try this site if you want to make a very stable , yet portable bench. www.boogerbench.com . Cost about $30.00 to make or go to Sams Club or COSTCO and buy one of the short folding plastic tables for about the same. It can double as a computer table when your not shooting off of it !!!!!!!!

Al the Booger bench is what I use. Sets up in about 15 seconds after its out of the truck. If you just drill a couple of holes in it you have a very stable portable loading bench as well.

Boogerbench

Last edited:
I had a guy make me one out of aluminum that folds up with adjustable legs and adjustable seat so my kids can shoot off it also..weighs around 20 lbs...

Back