TENNESSEE Legality Explained.......

Hidalgo

I have seen a few people on PM thoroughly confused and frustrated about TN game laws. I felt I need to post this.......hope it helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Anybody who has read (or TRIED to read) our Hunting Guide has undoubtedly banged their head against the wall trying to make sense of what they just read. It's a jumbled-up mess if you're looking for a way to hunt coyotes, fox, or bobcats LEGALLY in Tennessee. I just had a 45 minute conversation with one of the TWRA Supervisors and asked him if he could give me a reasonable, easy, understandable explanation of HOW and WHEN we could hunt coyotes LEGALLY!

What he said makes it a little more simple:

(1) On private land, coyote season is open year-round. Shoot 'em with anything you got, anytime you want.

(2) On TWRA managed land (WMA's) just pretend that THERE IS NO COYOTE SEASON! You are allowed to take coyotes on ANY OTHER HUNT, with WEAPONS LEGAL FOR THE OTHER HUNT, and you must BE LEGALLY-PERMITTED FOR THE OTHER HUNT. In other words, WMA land is NOT open to "coyote only" hunters. There MUST be a deer hunt, turkey hunt, squirrel hunt, etc going on or YOU CAN'T BE THERE HUNTING! And you must have your deer, turkey, squirrel etc permits for that area and those dates.

(3) He added that it gets a little "sticky" when hunting on public land. If there is ANY big game season open, he suggested that you obtain a Big Game Stamp, even if you are coyote hunting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Although it is not LEGALLY required, his suggestion was made because of the fact that there are very few coyote hunters here, and the local warden might be "reluctant" to believe you weren't deer hunting. His suggestion was that the $20 permit might save you a bunch of trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The regulations pertaining to bobcat & fox are the same, with noted exceptions stopping fox kills in certain counties, and note that there IS a stopping and starting date on bobcat season.

Things got a "little" easier on us this year because you can use ANY centerfire rifle for deer. Before, you had to yote hunt with a .243 or larger if you were out during deer season.

You see guys, you folks out West need to get on your knees tonite and give thanks for your game seasons and laws. In Tennessee, you gotta pose or impersonate a deer or squirrel hunter in order to hunt coyotes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
(1) On private land, coyote season is open year-round. Shoot 'em with anything you got, anytime you want.

With that one he is being very deceptive... you can't hunt them at night. You can’t even have "predator calls" on your person at night in TN! We (MSPCA) are trying to get some info together so we can come to TWRA and get them to allow night hunting. Wish us luck... we are going to need it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SEE!!! EVEN THE SUPERVISOR CAN'T EXPLAIN IT PROPERLY !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks for the input/clarification! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I don't think he was being deceptive......just thinking that we had enough sense to know that much of the rule. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:

I sincerely apologize for asking for a tad more clarification regarding the above quote. I can't find where this exemption or a close interpretation of it is written in the 2006 TWRA Guide. I have found exceptions for licenses and Hunter Ed. certification exemptions for landowners, immediate family, etc.

The main quesiton I have concerning the hunting on private land as he provided you is, does it apply to ALL coyote hunters or just the categories of hunters contained in those sections mentioned above (landowner, child, tenent, etc.)? I can't help but suspect the exemption he mentioned does not cover ALL coyote hunters using any private land - the other license, seasons, and restrictions would seem to apply.

If you came onto my private land to hunt coyotes, I suspect that you'd need the applicable license and would need to comply with the weapon requirements for the season in which we were hunting (big game/small game). Otherwise, the TWRA would lose license fees, which is not likely to happen if they have anything to do with it! I'm not sure that even I would be exempt from the legal and prohibited weapons requirements while hunting on my own land, or at least I can't find such an exemption in the '06 Guide.

Just call me paranoid for thinking the explanation you received is not quite what the regulations permit - it is one person's opinion from one TWRA area or Region, and there might be an opposite opinion in another area or Region where someone else might hunt. I don't doubt the accuracy of your information as presented and appreciate you taking the time and the trouble to continue trying to explain a very convoluted, antiquated, narrow-sighted set of hunting regulations.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Yeah right that is not the way it is wrote up. I would like to have something in print from the TWRA before doing that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I sincerely apologize for asking for a tad more clarification regarding the above quote.

Just call me paranoid for thinking the explanation you received is not quite what the regulations permit -

.....trying to explain a very convoluted, antiquated, narrow-sighted set of hunting regulations.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

You don't need to apologize........I don't understand it either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Maybe we ALL should be paranoid. It's kinda like trying to guess what's behind "Door #3". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Your description of the regs is dead on.....it's outlived it's usefullness for the current era.

Sad thing is, if the deer and turkey hunters would also get behind this and help the predator hunters, they too would reap benefits because there would be fewer fawn & turkey kills from coyotes, and more game for the hunters.

I "think" that he way trying to say that Tennessee DOES have a year-round coyote season. It never closes. But it is ONLY open year-round on private property. For all practical purposes, there is actually no REAL coyote season EXCEPT on private property.

Maybe I was a little at fault in my interpretation if the meaning of his words. But then again.......that's what he said.

I was also put on alert (not in direct wording) that it is a good idea to be "impersonating" (for lack of another term) another type of hunter anytime we are afield. The impression was made that if we weren't legal to be hunting something ELSE, then there could be a problem.....no matter WHAT the season or situation.

Maybe that's the key........impersonate another type of hunter on paper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
Well, Since Coon / Possum / Bullfrog hunting is legal at night, Lets Impersonate them ! ~Ace~

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Nice thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
I was also put on alert (not in direct wording) that it is a good idea to be "impersonating" (for lack of another term) another type of hunter anytime we are afield. The impression was made that if we weren't legal to be hunting something ELSE, then there could be a problem.....no matter WHAT the season or situation.

Maybe that's the key........impersonate another type of hunter on paper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Yes, what he means is, if you're hunting coyotes during big game season with a centerfire rifle/handgun, then, if checked, you have to lie to the officer and say you were hunting big game (not coyotes). Now, how many deer hunters have you seen with predator calls hanging around their neck or an electronic caller in their hand (and, hopefully, a big male coyote over their shoulder)? Here's the reg. quote:

"5. Rifles or handguns loaded with center-fire ammunition
are prohibited during all deer, bear or boar seasons
for hunting any wildlife except deer, bear, or
boar. Coyotes, crows, groundhogs, beaver, feral hogs,
foxes and bobcats may be taken by big game hunters
while hunting big game with any legal big game
weapon or ammunition." (page 10, Illegal Weapons section)

You also have to comply with all other big game regs (license, orange, etc.) to use a centerfire for coyote hunting. Jeff is working hard to build support among & for predator hunters in Tennessee - I know he'd appreciate your support of MSPCA (so would I).

I just talked to 2 officers this morning at a Hunter Ed course. Here's how it went......

When I raised my hand and said, "I have a question about coyote hunting seasons", he replied.... " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif "

He apologized for laughing, and asked what the question was.

I said, "Since there is a year-round open season on coyotes in TN, then does that mean we can hunt them in July with a centerfire rifle?"

His reply was "YES, unless you are hunting an area that is under State management. For all practical purposes, there is no coyote season on TWRA managed land unless specifically stated in the regulations for that specific area". (obvious that this was NOT the 1st time he'd answered the question)

I then inquired about hunting coyotes on public land during statewide deer season.

He replied "You don't have to be in possession of a BG permit to hunt coyotes, of course. HOWEVER, it would save a lot of possible confusion if you were to have a BG permit in your possession."

I then inquired, that if we were going to be in possession of a BG permit, then does that mean that we should also wear the required Orange?

His reply was, "We operate in a lot of GREY area in the field. Our responsibility is to evaluate the situation, and then react accordingly. If you are blowing a predator call, or operating an electronic caller, then it is obvious that you are predator hunting and not deer hunting. I personally as an officer wouldn't have a problem with that situation. Another officer might see it differently. But the final ruling is out of our hands. If a citation were to be issued, the guilt or innocence would be determined by the Judge. I would advise anyone that wants to hunt coyotes during deer season to also be a legal deer hunter to avoid any confusion."

I caught one of them alone before they left, and he was very quick to say that in order to be safe, it would be a good idea to be legal for whatever season were open at the time you were hunting. When there is no season open (like in June, July, etc) then there should be no problem hunting coyotes on public land with whatever caliber you choose. Then he added that I should understand he is referring to PUBLIC land.

So.....makes it clear as mud, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I must say, that even though the current setup leaves a lot to be desired, both of the officers there were very level-headed, polite, and tried their best to be helpful. They both understood that there is a problem with the current setup, but of course they aren't in a position to do anything except uphold the regulations as they are written.

If I ran into either of the officers that I spoke with today, I wouldn't be concerned about getting a raw deal or being accused of doing something that I wasn't doing. They both seemed to be fair and intellegent individuals.

Hildago, thank you for following up with the officers in your area - it's good to know we now have a definitive answer and well-established set of guidelines on all regulatory aspects of coyote hunting in our great State /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The majority of TWRA officers are exceptionally well trained and helpful; I've known and worked with quite a few of them over many years.

One of the major problems with getting an answer that applies Statewide is the TWRA's organizational structure. The Regional concept as implemented prevents a program manager in the Nashville HQ (such as the LE Chief) from establishing and implementing procedural guidelines across the State - each Regional Office pretty much operates on its own; therefore, consistency in application of enforcement procedures for our purposes is not realistic at this time.

Was the officer implying there is a difference in the general regulations contained in hunting guide (orange, calibers, etc.) when hunting on public vs. private land, except for the specific management area's rules? I commend him for using common sense (if it looks like a coyote hunter, talks like a coyote hunter, is equipped like a coyote hunter, and might even have a dead coyote on his shoulder - then, hey, he might be a coyote hunter and not a deer hunter). Officer discretion is a commendable trait, but it is not always consistent among the field troops.

Considering the decline in hunter's license sales, it would seem the TWRA's upper echelon would embrace the possibility of drawing more predator hunters into the fold. Instead, it seems many employees are more concerned that some deer would be poached by hunters claiming to be pursuing coyotes, or revenues from the sale of BG licenses would diminish.

As a final comment (until you get me started again with another post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), the time has come for Tennesseans to recognize that TWRA cannot continue to exist as a viable organization as long as their income is based solely on license revenues and federal dollars. The recent license fee increases simply are not sufficient to fund the organization @ the degree necessary to achieve the desired and necessary levels of fish, wildlife, and habitat management. I hope the Legislature promulgates legislation that directs some of the millions of dollars hunting and fishing generate in Tennessee back to the TWRA. How's that for stirring up some controversy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
Was the officer implying there is a difference in the general regulations contained in hunting guide (orange, calibers, etc.) when hunting on public vs. private land, except for the specific management area's rules?

I don't think that was his implication at all, and I don't know by what I said that you could have come to that conclusion. Nowhere in the hunting guide does it say that you have to wear orange when coyote hunting, nor does it have a caliber restriction on coyotes.....EXCEPT when hunting on a WMA or other State managed land where there is another hunt in progress. Like the guide spells out...coyotes can be taken on ANY hunt, with the weapon legal for that hunt. Once again...he recommended that we make ourselves legal for whatever hunt is going on so that there is no "grey" area. Sounded pretty plain to me. But then again, I suppose there can be an argument over anything if you look at it hard enough.

The two officers that I saw today are very much on the same page that we are in the fact that they don't feel the need to harrass a coyote hunter no matter the situation. They simply made certain that I understood the fact that when a WMA comes into play, or any State managed land, it would benefit us to either stay away, or else bring ourselves into the mix in such a manner that we cannot be mistaken for an illegal hunter. I actually got the feeling that they were sympathetic with my/our concerns, but due to their position wouldn't come right out and make a all-holds-barred ruling. And I understand their reluctance to do that. When you consider the fact that they usually don't get called out unless there is a "bad guy" to be dealt with the fact remains that they probably aren't out there just looking for rules violations. One of them went so far as to say that they rarely just did license checks unless there was another reason for them to be looking at the person in the first place.

The general feeling that I got from them, was that if you avoid situations that you KNOW could get sticky, you'll be alright.

What we have to remember is that these guy's main focus is to eliminate the "crooks" (for lack of another term) and not harass us or write tickets because our shirt tails aren't tucked in.

I'm not trying to keep this "stirred-up", just trying to pass along the info that I got today, and maybe keep us TN guys out of trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
Very nice to hear that those officers are under that pretense... most are. The BIG problems are in the committee members and passing the "new" regulations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I really didn't mean that you were "stirring up" anything - it was meant to be a lighthearted comment only; in fact, I sincerely appreciate the effort and the time you've put into trying to get clarification on the subject.

It wasn't anything you said that caused me to wonder if there's a difference in the application of the general hunting regulations on public vs. private land. The officers I've talked to about the following section tell me the only way someone can legally kill a coyote with a center-fire firearm during a big game season is to be hunting big game, while in full compliance with the governing regulations and then take a coyote as a matter of opportunity. Their's is a strict interpretation of the regulation that applies to public and private property.

"5. Rifles or handguns loaded with center-fire ammunition
are prohibited during all deer, bear or boar seasons
for hunting any wildlife except deer, bear, or
boar. Coyotes, crows, groundhogs, beaver, feral hogs,
foxes and bobcats may be taken by big game hunters
while hunting big game with any legal big game
weapon or ammunition." (page 10, Illegal Weapons, '06 Guide).

Absent a regulation change, it would be helpful if a standard operating procedure/policy following the commonsense approach your officers expressed could be implemented Statewide by TWRA.

Again, sorry if I gave you the wrong idea about my stirring comment.

Quote:
Again, sorry if I gave you the wrong idea about my stirring comment.

No problem. I thought that I hadn't been clearly forwarding the info that I was given......beginning to doubt my communication skills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I, like you, am a little frustrated with our regs in their current format. Maybe some day soon...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

For the past several years my brother, some of his friends, and I have been going to the Cheatham WMA near Ashland City Tn to hunt turkeys. Because bobcats are protected in Indiana, and I am familiar with Cheatham, it has been my desire to return to Cheatham during the Tennessee bobcat season to hunt bobcats. I have come to the realization that in order to do so I will have to obtain a Tennessee BG license plus whatever license I need to hunt predators in Tennessee, and go to Cheatham during one of the deer hunts on the WMA. Since there are no sanctioned bobcat hunts at Cheatham I figure I will have to pose as a deer hunter and take a bobcat incidental to my deer hunt. I will have to do my "deer hunt" during the regular Tennessee bobcat season. I believe I can use a rifle chambered in .223 since .22 centerfires are now legal in Tennesse.
I have a couple of questions that maybe you guys can answer. #1 Is this even possible? I've not researched the regulations pertaining to the use of predator calls while deer hunting on a WMA. Also I've not checked to see if it is allowed to use electronic calls in Tennessee. Will I need a license to hunt fur bearers in Tennessee or will my BG license cover that? I mentioned hunting bobcats and coyotes to the biologist at Cheatham last spring and he quickly changed the subject.
I'm hoping this is doable since it is an easy 6 hour drive from here to Ashland City. What say you guys in the know?

Good hunting y'all.. Coyote 6974

Quote:
#1 Is this even possible? I've not researched the regulations pertaining to the use of predator calls while deer hunting on a WMA. Also I've not checked to see if it is allowed to use electronic calls in Tennessee. Will I need a license to hunt fur bearers in Tennessee or will my BG license cover that? I mentioned hunting bobcats and coyotes to the biologist at Cheatham last spring and he quickly changed the subject.
I'm hoping this is doable since it is an easy 6 hour drive from here to Ashland City. What say you guys in the know?
Good hunting y'all.. Coyote 6974

Here's a link to the Hunting Guide: http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/

No fur-bearer license required. BG stamp and non-resident license, along with an additional WMA BG permit will get it done. All these are available online.

I "briefly" looked thru the guide, and didn't see anything that would keep you from using a call for coyotes during a deer hunt........BUT you better look it over too just to be sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Anytime a WMA comes into play, it's a good idea to read the regs 2 or 3 times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
I talked to the Region 3 Biologist, and he said that I could hunt for yotes during the deer season, but I need to have all the license to hunt deer in that season.

Quote:
I talked to the Region 3 Biologist, and he said that I could hunt for yotes during the deer season, but I need to have all the license to hunt deer in that season.

THAT'S their way of eliminating the "grey" area. On paper.....you're a legal deer hunter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Like I said before, if you get checked, it depends upon the situation and the officer involved.

What that biologist did was put you in a position where you could NOT get a citation. And also as was said.....that's probably for the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CYA, CYA, CYA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hidalgo, Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get to Tennessee this winter and give it a go. I love it down there.
Also as a rural LEO I am often called to check on hunters. We have numerous seasons that run concurrently. It would be a very poor police officer that would cite a person legally hunting coyotes for illegally hunting deer without any other evidence of a violation. In Indiana rifles are illegal for deer. They are perfectly legal for coyotes and other varmints. Right now our early archery season is in, along with coyote and fox seasons. We don't have any of that only weapons legal for deer may be carried afield nonsense. Otherwise we could only hunt predetors with a bow right now. If an officer can't tell that a hunter carrying a rifle along with predator calls is hunting predators he is pretty much clueless. If a hunter is simply out in the field there is no reason to suspect any violation no matter what that hunter is armed with. We are required to observe an actual violation before any arrests can be made. So if you're predator hunting with your .243 rifle don't be shooting at anything but predators and you won't have a problem.
Last December I personally had an experience that didn't look real good if anyone had seen it happen. I was set up in a woods edge calling across a shelled cornfield toward a ditch. As I stood there with my Foxpro running, I watched several deer come out of the ditch bank and bed in the corn stalks about 200 yards straight north of my position. I then had a coyote step out of the woods directly to my right and directly downwind of me with I-65 as a backdrop. The coyote spooked and began to run to the north then circled in a counterclockwise arch as it ran across the open cornfield headed to the ditch. AS it crossed in front of me about 130 yards out I fired at it. I hit the coyote and it went down. At the same time the bedded deer sprang up and ran toward the cover of the ditch. Then the coyote sprang up and be gan hobbling toward the ditch with its rear leg half blown off. As deer and coyotes are all running to the ditch I open up on the wounded coyote missing it twice before finally connecting and ending it all. I can't imagine trying to explain this all to a fired up DNR officer. Luckily I had a dead coyote to show as evidence.

Good hunting y'all Coyote 6974

Back