Who's been stopped while night hunting?

We were stopped last Saturday night while cruising along the border with the red light shining all over creation. Border Patrol came cruising in from a loooong way off, doing a pretty good speed, too. He pulled up next to us and asked "hi guys, have you seen any suspicious vehicles out here tonight". Just us, I said. Nice guy - asked us to call him if we see anyone else out and about (it was about midnight). Glad to see him, actually, nice to know they are on the ball up along our border.

Quote:
Glad to see him, actually, nice to know they are on the ball up along our border.

songdogslayer,
That's exactly what I was thinking as I read the last two post. Good to hear of active law enforcement investigating and doing their jobs out there in the dark. That's how you catch bad guys and save lives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Quote:
thought we might be raping farm animals.

Since you weren't arrested, can we assume you were innocent? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Does this kind of thing happen that much that the Police are looking for it?

This IS Vegas were talking about here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ya! The farm animals refused to press charges>>>>LOL.....JOHN

Just a few times so far.

Once while dove hunting, and once while calling. The calling story was pretty funny. Jeff, Brad and I were out calling for fox near Brady a few years ago. It was about 2 weeks after deer season and we parked on the side of 377 and walked into a small place. We didnt want to drive in and spook anything. It was the first stand of the day so we were getting all our camo on, the camera ready and our guns loaded. It took a few minutes and a couple cars passed as we were getting ready. We made a couple dry stands and were walking to another spot when we found a dead deer(dead a couple months at least). It was a small buck, but Brad mentioned he wanted the skull and antlers for his collection. Not wanting to haul the nasty thing around he opted to swing back and get it after our last stand. Sure enough we forgot all about it and he doubled back to get it while we headed for the truck. As we cleared some thick brush about 50 yards from the truck there mister Game Warden sat. Turns out his wife was one of the cars that had passed while we were getting ready. He was just making sure we werent deer hunting. It was the usual conversation. He asked what we were doing and we told him we were calling for Fox. During the day? He asked. Yep, during the day. We discussed the tactics we use and he had a few night hunting stories himself. He was a really nice guy. During our conversation we forwarned him that a guy was fixing to walk up with a deer skull and explained that story also. He had no problem with that and we continued our conversation. We heard Brad tromping through the brush and we all turned to look his way. Brad was walking along without a care in the world looking down at the ground. We watched him for at lease 20 yards and finally looked up and saw the Warden standing there. Without hesitation and just as slick as could be he dropped the skull and continued twords us. We all started rolling, even the Game Warden got a kick out of it. He said he didnt know why he did it, it was just instinct I guess.

If you aint doing anything wrong, Game Wardens are harmless to ya. Except for a little time taken away from hunting. They probably see so many idiots out there the ones we have talked to are super nice and eager to chat about hunting.

Take care,

Todd

I didn't even have to ask, pachuckhunter - he told me he saw one while driving out to our setup! We have a lot of Border Patrol up here and I know a few of them. They all say the coyotes are ridiculous out here. I guess that's no guarantee you can call them in and shoot them, though. There are a couple fellas night hunting out here, other than me, and I've heard some stories that lead me to believe they are doing nothing more than educating the entire population. Roll up in their rig, get out right away and start calling . . . get bark-yipped out of the setup most of the time. Then when a predator actually comes into range, a shot and a miss! Oh well, that's seed for next year I reckon!

I was hunting a local quarry and had permission. There was a big Pa coyote hunt on and red fox paid 100$ so me and my buddy were on our last leg of the hunt.

A few weeks earlier we missed a red fox there so we had our honeyhole scoped out.

It was 10F and realitively no wind. We had hunted extremely hard all night- What made it so hard was the fact we recieved 2 feet of snow 2-3 days before. When we pulled into the parking spot- which I made with the plow. A security guard from the adjoinin Ski Lodge -in a marked car just drove past at 1:30 am. I should have know to wait but we were tired and sweated. So we got out walked to the stand and waited and started to call.... Needless to say the red lights were flashing, So i told jim we better go down before the state police get here. I shut off the call and Mr Red barked at us to let us know we are not gettting the hide off his back and the $100.
We walked out in full snow camo and the guard said I he was sorry about bothering us and said he would like to hunt at night.

There is no other feeling as to walking up to a security guard with guns, snow camo and dressed so warm as to walk like little a marshmellow man. Your mind wonders what is going to happen.

We left and glad the State Police did not get bothered. It is a funny story now.

Todd........Depends on the warden. I've met a few that just hated hunters and even spent personal time lobbying to get hunting closed in their area. I got a long lecture at a gas station in the San Joaquin Valley one evening. We were filling the tank and the warden pulled in and saw the coyotes laid out in the bed of my truck. I thought he was going to cry. He went on about how they were just minding their own business when we came along and shot them. When I told him these two were caught killing a calf he told me coyotes don't do that. Nothing we said could convince him. I gave him the landowner's phone number to check up. We were telling the truth.

On the other hand my ex brother in law knew the game warden up near Placerville, CA back when I was in high school. He was cool. You had to be breaking a law to get in trouble with him.

While on our antelope hunt in WY we met the warden in the Casper area, don't remember his name,I didn't meet him myself, and what a great guy. Did his job but gave us tips and was very helpful. He even helped drag out one of our hunters lopes, a 17 y/o girl that can shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I was hoping to meet him and see if he could come to WI and teach our wardens, they sure are lacking in people skills.

i agree about the wardens and biologist from wy. i have never met a more helpful group of people or nicer group than wy. i had a warden come in from being in the hills for 3 days and still had his horse in the trailer and spent time getting doe tags for my family that wern't in state yet!! i did not have the stats on them so he called hq. and because we were on a party draw he got all of the info. and wrote it down on some cardboard, called another place that had tags and told them he had sold them and to put them away!! i paid for the tags and he said to have my fam. sign them as soon as they got in town!! made some people from ark. and ca. very happy!! just got my survey from wy. last night for my lope hunt this year and in the comments sec. i told them what i thought of them and named some names and i hope they hear how much i enjoyed talking to them and how helpfull they are!! if you get a chance to hunt wy. you will enjoy it!! grandpa fudge

I was just setting up in the late afternoon and just put my call out and An officer was on the property I hunt looking for a suspect. I scared the **** out of him because I had my ghille suit on. So I tell the property owner and he goes to the station to find out what was going on and the cops said they where going to send a K9 in to look for the suspect I'm glad they didn't because we have some ferral dogs around here and if that dog came at me I would have big problem. But to see the guys face was priceless I must have looked like the swamp thing.

Well, two of my brothers-in-law and I got stopped 9 days ago. We went to a fox hot spot that required driving through the landowner's yard; I have hunted there several times and, of course I have permission. Well, we were in and out of there in less than 15 minutes because the brothers thought it was a ridiculous looking setup (though Randy Buker would disagree). We got about half way down the lady's driveway and a car pulled up in front of me with the red & blue lights blazing away. "You guys are obviously on the wrong property" came the voice of the deputy (family friend). I gave the landowner's name and assured him I had permission. "not tonight, you got called in for trespassing". I called the landowner and apologized for not giving a call in advance. Talked the landowner's daughter-in-law the next morning and was assured there was nothing to worry about (landowner's son is a very nice guy, but I'd really rather not make him mad) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Anyway, I'll probably let that spot cool off a bit and I will CERTAINLY be calling in advance next time!

What? He didn't like my fox spot? Maybe he was just afraid that he'd miss like I did? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think my brothers-in-law were more interested in coyotes and when I told them it was a fox hot-spot they wanted to go elsewhere. BTW, a 180 yard shot at night is no gimme, so don't cut yourself down too much.

My dad & I were on a roof in Denver catching pigeons in the dark to train the dog, when all of a sudden we had about 6 flashlights pointed at us from different directions on the roof and they told us to put our hands on the back of our head and walk backwards toward them. We explained what we were doing and contacted the building owner and he confirmed we had permission. They started laughing when we showed them the box with several pigeons in it.

Back