stuborn coyotes, need Help!

bobcat

Anyone who can help,

I just recently acquired a new place to hunt, with what seems to be ample coyote movement. Right off the road is a nice open winter wheat field, with a thick creek in the middle and just behind that a pasture. Beyond the pasture are some pretty good hills. This field should also have not been called, and the hunting pressure should of been at a minimal. Last week I went out and called with my Foxpro, setting a decoy out in the wheat field, and using the cotton tail in distress. After about 10 minutes the coyotes started howling, what sounded like to different sets. But, they never came in. This was very early in the morning. Here are my questions:

1. Would a variation like howl first then move to a distress call maybe work better?

2. Are they maybe hesitant to move accross the open wheat field, and in that case would I be better served to move to the pasture on the back side? (Keep in mind the wheat field is close to the dirt road)

3. Could this been a one time occurence, because of the full moon the night before? Or are they on to me?

4. And why the he!! can't I stop thinking about this.

boh

Read on down the line of posts several topics with your concerns. First I would think of my approach and as to whether the route your using is telling them that you are there. Then scent reduction.

------------------
Keep Your Powder Dry.
David Neff

1. Sure, why not? Throw in some rodent squeaks too. This is an imperfect science, what works on my coyotes might not work on yours.

2. In my experience, yes. They tend to slide along areas that provide them with cover. Then again, I've had them run full bore across areas of no cover.

3. They might be on to you, maybe a door shut too hard, maybe you outlined yourself on the horizon a little too long, maybe that spaghetti dinner you had the evening before is finally stinking you up, maybe the full moon gave them the opportunity to find a late snack during the previous night.....gads, the possiblities are endless. Like I said, it's an imperfect science, trial and error and a lot of patience is required. That's what makes this so fun.

4. Because your sick like the rest of us.

biggrin.gif

Bob

Back