my 7 year olds first day out (lengthy story)

d2admin

Administrator
Today is my sons 7th birthday and I asked him yesterday if he wanted to go for a hunt with me this morning. He was unsure until I told him we would make sure to be home in time for his party and then he jumped on the occasion.

This morning I got him all dressed warm and wearing my camo hat. He was cute. It was a beautiful morning, just a trace of new snow and crystal clear skies. The clouds had just cleared about 6:30am so the big moon didn't shine all night.

As we walked to the first stand we crunched on the frozen ground with every step, all the way. We stopped a couple of times on the way to listen to the coyotes howl and he really liked that! I walked him over and showed him where to sit. Then I proceeded to go set the e-caller that I was using and came back and sat with him.

He was a little restless and I don’t blame him, after all we got up early (5:30) and he is only 7. I sat still as I usually do scouring the landscape for movement. And after a short while of calling, then silence, I realized that I had failed to set my e-caller on repeat. I don’t have a remote for it is just an inexpensive homegrown model. I told Lukie that I needed to go reset the call and asked if he wanted to come. He, of course, nodded in excitement. So we left our sitting pad and went to go reset the call. CRUNCH! CRUNCH! CRUNCH! I was sure that we would not see anything at this stand now. After we had reset the call and went back to sitting, not more than 5 minutes passed and I caught a glimpse of a coyote. It went behind a juniper and must have stopped to stare toward the call that was about 40 yards from us. I scoped and scoped but could not see him. Lukie started to fidget and I saw the coyote move off but couldn’t get a shot. I lip squeaked and pup distressed but couldn’t get that coyote to stick it’s head out again. And unfortunately Lukie didn’t see anything but his silly dad making funny noises.

By now Lukie is bored and restless so I ask him if he wants to make another stand with me or go see if we can jump a rabbit to shoot at. He gets excited again and says rabbit! So we go back to the truck and grab the shotgun with some game loads and start beating the bushes. It only took him about 10 minutes before he was just tooooo tired to go on. So what I did was head back to the truck in a roundabout sort of way.

When we got back to the truck I pulled out the Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver and let him take a few whacks at an old tin bucket. That was fun. Then we hopped in the truck and I drove to another spot where I attempted to call something in from the truck bed, no luck. Maybe it was partially because I was in the bed of the truck, and also that Lukie was singing in the cab at the same time that I was calling. Anyway after about 20 minutes there I hopped back in and we took off.

In my mind it was a successful hunt even though there was nothing in the bag. In Lukie's mind it was a halfway boring morning, but time spent with dad, which is good. I hope to at least ingrain in my kids that hunting may not always be fun but it is part of our tradition and heritage. And without tradition our lives are as shaky as…bad joke sorry.

My hat is off to you guys who have helped to encourage me to get my kids out in the field at a young age. Thanks! And I hope that those of you with kids who have not had them out yet will be encouraged to do so.

God bless...rock on...kill 'em dead!

------------------
Matt/Spinner

[This message has been edited by SpinnerShark (edited 01-04-2002).]

Boy I'll tell you, that's excellent Matt...enjoy the time you have with your son. Today is also the birthday of my daughter...she turned 18 today,but as luck would have it, she's 1,500 miles away at school in Texas.

Happy Birthday to your son...give him a few years and he'll be hanging on your back pleading with you to go hunting again.

Bob

SpinnerShark,
I'm glad to hear you and your son had a good time. I don't have kids yet, but you can bet when I do I'll do my best to take them hunting, just like my dad did for me. That's the only way we're gonna preserve this sport.

Later,
Justin

------------------
My pics
My web page

Great story. Wont be long til he is bugging you to take him all the time. I have 2 boys 6 and 9, and they love to hunt anything from fox to geese. Enjoy every minute with them, time flies.

Brad

Matt,
It's great to see another dad taking time out to spend with their kids. My son just turned 5 in November. He has been going with me since he was barely 6 months old. I used to poke him in his Kelty Kid pack, grab a handful of diapers, a box of WetOnes, and my fly rod and fish the North Fork of the Tounge and Yellowstone rivers with him on my back. He owned his first set of ear muffs before he was 1 and accompanied me on many gopher and prairie dog hunts. I have been raising my son on my own since he was 2, so alot of times if I were going to get out and do what I enjoyed doing. I had to either take him along or get a babysitter, so I took him along. He goes with me probably more than 50% of the time when I go hunting. At 5 he is a better hunting partner than some adults I have hunted with. One of the lessons I have had to learn is that I can't make the trip so serious that it is no longer fun, after all he is only 5. I no longer take him with me because I have to, but because I want to. I cherish every trip that we make to the field together and if I didn't bag another animal from now until he is old enough to hunt on his own it would be OK. My father instilled in me a great love for the outdoors and if I accomplish one thing in my life time. I hope it will be to give my son the great love of the outdoors that my father gave to me. I think alot of us get hung up with taking our hunting so serious and hanging out with our buddies and not wanting to deal with wining kids that we forget that these little guys and gals are going to be our life long hunting partners. They grow up way too fast and before you know it the opportunity to have some of the best times that you will ever have has passed you by. Matt, my hat is off to you! I hope you keep at it, be patient, and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Later Jeff

Great memories are being created there SpinnerShark. Times like those you describe are priceless--enjoy them and put them in your memory bank. Those young kids grow up way too fast and then they are off on their own. My boy is 34 and the daughter is 31. Now, my new granddaughter is a different matter! She'll be 1 year old on January 30th. Man do I enjoy my time with her. Very special memories I'll cherish forever.

Back