Reseating loaded bullets

Displayed Name

Just wondering if any one does much of this. Reseating factory ammo for seating length or replacing bullets. I read of a hunter in Alaska who buys cheap .223 ammo and replaces the bullets with something like a partition. Ryan

Fairly common practice among cross the course competitive shooters to pull the bullets on GI ball ammo and seat equivalent match bullets in their place. Ball ammo not too shabby, but the bullets are usually not so hot. It is adviseable to neck size the case before seating the new bullet to insure uniform neck tension.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Depends on the type puller you use, I have done that with 308 Ball ammo replacing with Varment or match bullets of the same or lighter wt. I use a collet puller from RCBS on a turret press, pull bullet at one station, then seat new bullet on next station. I have never had a problem with neck tension or accuracy doing this.

Don't think it is the puller, as I use the RCBS collet puller also. May be lot to lot differences in ammo. Most of my experience has been w/quite old 30-06 (50 & 60's vintage) and I have felt a distinct difference in pressure required to seat an occasional bullet when I did not neck size the cases. Some seated so easily, I was worried that the bullet might be pushed back into the case when chambered in the rifle.

Regards,
hm

I have done this from time to time because manufactures use different powders. And want to see if it was the bullet or the powder.Never had any problems with the loads.

be careful!!! most factory ammo is crimped and re-seating the factory bullet will destroy the jacket thus making accuracy very poor. its alot better to pull the bullet dump the powder and work out that factory crimp

I have done this with the 62grn military ball ammo, I have seated vmax's and blitzkings, the accuracy is very good, if you wanna push a 60 grn vmax really hard, this milsurp stuff will do it, I was getting faster than book speeds with it. I use a forester puller that you just run the shell up and then down and thats it

Back