Best camo pattern for west TX?

jttswain

I would like your opinions on what camo works the best for you in west TX. I use mo brush pants and mo breakup leafy jacket and hood in the fall. I go to all mo brush when the leaves are gone. I was going to buy some new camo this year but there are so many new patterns I just got hung up. Should I get leafy or not, this or that. All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

What you have probably won't hurt you, but it won't blend as well as a prarie type of pattern. Think of Arizona/New Mexico type patterns. Sagebrush, mesquite and such. I'm drawing a blank right now, but something like King.... and I think the bass pro's around here are carrying more of a prairie pattern with sagebrush and some more tans, and lighter browns.

If I can remember the "King....." whatever brand I'll chime back in.

I've had pretty good luck with the faded tan coveralls, sitting next to a yucca or rock, here in north-eastern New Mexico. Blends in with the faded grass pretty well, just sit still!!
Mark

I have very limited experience in West Texas but from what I've learned so far, a red spot light will work just about any night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry, I just had to throw that in there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maverick I have been looking at prarie ghost and seclusion open country. I am usually sitting infront of a mesquite bush and there really isnt anything that matches mesquite.

Randy thats true but I believe you can split the preasure a little bit. Day hunt an area and night hunt another area for a couple weeks and then just swap them around.

I don't live or hunt in West Texas, but the company I work for has a district in Midland. I have spent the better half of the last year working all over that part of Texas , and my vote would go for Mossy Oak Brush.

+1 to the Natural Gear. While my experience with western TX is El Paso, I don't see why it wouldn't work in more than desert scrub locations. Having had coyotes look right at me and not react, birds landing a foot from my head, or watching a covey of quail walk within five feet of me has me pretty much sold on Natural Gear. The patern isn't a reprint of a bush or grass. It's just fuzzy blobs and splotches.

Nat Gear without a question. Used it from Arizona to Montana. It's non situation specific patern makes you invisibile in a just about any enviroment. I did invest in some of the green pattern for bow hunting the timber this last year. I took an Arizona bobcat at 7 yards. He was zeroed in on me... all ears but never did see what I was. I took my whitetail this year at less than 10 yards kneeling beside a tree. He heard me draw, but didn't see me. I could go on and on about the success that I have had with NatGear. It's not "pretty" camo but I won't use anything else.

Is west Tx like Arizona? If it is, check out ASAT, its the best I've used. Tan and Black thats it. Blends in well with the dead grasses and shadows.

Gotta go with NatGear. I hunt around the San Angelo/Robert Lee area and it blends in perfect with the mesquite,cedar, and ground cover in the area. Also, you can find it on clearence at great prices if you shop around.
Trashcan

Back