SIMS LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonator?

GUTPYLZ

Sorry if this has been posted, but needed to know if anyone has used it, and what do you think?

I want to buy one for my .204. I heard they have them for the thick barrels. Any help is appreciated.

Of all the great Simms products this one will die first.

Takes a lot of ammo to find the "sweet spot". Just a poor mans version of the Browning BOSS system.

While I don't have a bull barrel on my Savage .204, I tried one just for the heck of it. I started out with it near the muzzle and worked it back to the stock.

My rifle always shot well out of the box and I could not tell any difference at 100 yds regardless of the position on the barrel. There was no tightening or opening of the group... Just a fun day at the range.

I have seen some on a few of the small caliber (.22 lr and .17 HMR) 25 and 50 yd benchrest equipment and the shooters that were using them swore by them, but their shots didn't bear out their allegience... They were still coming up with flyers once and a while.

At least I gave it a try...

Gut,

Where you'll notice any difference, if at all, is probably with the "toothpick thin" sporter barrels.
Each barrel, no matter how thick or thin, has vibration characteristics known as "barrel whip".
In a sense, it acts almost like a tuning fork vibrating when a bullet is shot through it. Microscopically, if the muzzle of the barrel is viewed when a bullet is shot, you'll actually see it oscillating.
The thinner the barrel, the more it oscillates, the heavier the barrel, the less it does so.
Each barrel made, even if exactly the same in profile, and coming off the same manufacturing line, have different harmonic properties, otherwise known as "barrel ring".

This "ring", or "harmonic sweet spot", is where a given load needs to be on a consistent basis to shoot it's best through that gun barrel. The less a barrel vibrates, the more apt it is to shoot most loads well, or better.

If you picture the vibrating oscillations of a barrel as numbers on a clock, if you get a load that falls within the barrel's sweet spot, and the load is consistent, it might exit the barrel, very consistently at say 11 o'clock, 12 o'clock, or 1 o'clock. An inconsistent, or inaccurate load might exit at all three positions during a shot string, and thus failing to give decent accuracy.

Simm's De-Resonator trys to dampen these harmonics, or vibrations, as does the BOSS system. Out of the two, the BOSS system seems to make more sense in that it can be "dialed in". How good it works, I don't know. Never tried it.

Hope this helps,
Bob

I would think this is susceptible to temperture change as firmness of rubber change with with the temperture, that say, it must have a effect on the harmonics of the barrel and you will have to re-adjust with the temperture variations through out the day.

I give this devise 2 thumbs down.

A good friend put one on his CZ527 in .204

He had switched the 40 gr. Hornady load and the gun was spraying! I think about three inches!!

It had shot fine w/out the de-resonator with the 32 gr. load.

With the de-resonator and the 40's, his rifle now shoots one hole!

I say try it on the rifle and if it does not suit that gun move it to another ...... there is bound to be a round peg in a square hole somewhere in your collection????

Three 44s

I see a few on the BR guns at the range that I frequent. Not sure if they work or if one guy bought one and the others had to have one too LOL.

Back