Coyotes .45ACP style?

Bluedeacon

Ok, in all my years I have never done this, but I've been thinking (Oh no!) I have a lot of short range country for calling at my disposal 100 yards and less. I also have an HK .45USC carbine that I carry at work and just LOVE, like Encore loves loin cloths. How do you think a .45 would perform on yotes inside of 100 yards? Which bullet to use? 185 gr. or 230? It sure points quick, can be outfitted with 2 sight systems at once, and I train with it constantly?

Deacon

I too have used a handgun 44 redhawk for coyotes. It works great in close and out too 150 yards.

I use 245gr hard cast lead for coyotes. It tears them up less.

I would use a soft point in the 45. a hollow point will do allot of damage to the pelt. But if you are not skinning them what the heck right..

------------------
Kevin Bowler
Support NRA Vote Freedom First

SWEET!

I shot one coyote only with my 45, Glock 21, with a 230 RN full patch, at about 20 yards. Destroyed both shoulders and that's all she wrote.

Your rig should work well... a lot of trajectory arc at 100 yds, but practice makes perfect. Let us know how it works out!

JS, Las Cruces NM

Hmmmm, if the 230 took out both shoulders, maybe I can get by with something like the light fast hp's. Federal makes a 165 gr. Personal defense load, maybe I'll try grouping those.

Bluedeacon;
I've taken quite a few coyotes with the 1911. In 45 I like a 185gr. HP, usually a Nosler or XTP. Lately, I've swithched to mostly using the 400 Cor-Bon barrel though with 155 gr. XTPs. My primary arm is usually the camera and I carry the 1911 for those who wish to hang around after the photo session. Not many do, but it happens.

Dan Johnson

Bluedeacon, I'm having the same thoughts. I just got a Smith narrow frame (because my hands are so big) in .45 and have been doing some practicing. Can't decide if I want to put a red dot on it or not. I'm getting more consistant at 35 yards with open sights. Not too sure about 100 yards, though.

Back