Moon Phases

Boy I guess. I have been seeing coyotes everywhere for the past several weeks. I went out calling yesterday. Set up 4 times, never called in a coyote. That is a first for the area I was calling. I think it was because of the full moon.

I have kept accurate records for years ,for predators,deer,hogs and others. I have not see any effect on predators at all,I have seen some on deer ,but not to the extent to keep me home because the moon phase doesn't suit me!
It all boils down to "if you don't go you wont know"!

Quote:
I have kept accurate records for years ,for predators,deer,hogs and others. I have not see any effect on predators at all,I have seen some on deer ,but not to the extent to keep me home because the moon phase doesn't suit me!
It all boils down to "if you don't go you wont know"!

I agree, deer and elk, yes; predators, no.

Hymm we always have our lowest days on the brightest moons. When there is snow on the ground and a good moon, the day seem to always get slow. We still call em, but a 10-11 called yote day turns to a 3-4 yote day on times of good moon. We think they hunt most of the night then lay up in the sun during the day. And on a new moon they still hunt at night, just not as hard do they are more active through out the day. Just what we seem to have happen.

I'm not really sure about during the day, but at night I find it is pointless going out in full moon. Everything is very flighty and will not sit still long enough to shoot (if you can get within range at all) let alone come to a call.

Foxman, you happen to be correct. After years of keeping records, I have found if you go out during a new, first or last quarter moon at night you should do just fine.

I have felt there is a correlation between the two but have no records or science on it. One thing that has been pretty consistant is when it rains like hell the night before hunting is better.

I have to disagree with those saying stay at home on a full moon. I know that seems to be the consensus here but I have had good to better daytime luck during full moon periods. Why is that? Don't know for sure but while everyone seems to believe that the full moon gives the coyote an advantage I would disagree. I think they are more efficient when the light is lowest/ no full moon because their prey is at a disadvantage. Coyotes can pinpoint sounds and use their nose still in the dark but prey cannot see them or their shadows. Don't know if that has any creedence, but the coyote has extremely developed senses that can overcome darkness imho. Trapper friends have told me they do much better on dark moons than on full moons. Just my 2 cents. Agree with RockinT--first set of day after full moon is topnotch.

i have noticed that during a full moon the morning hunt is great. i feel it is due to the pray seeing better it makes the coyotes hunt longer into the morning.
night calling with a full moon they are the pray and they see you easier. i prefer night calling with no moon and morning calling with a full moon.
i think the coyotes stay out later or more are still out during the full moon.
around here right now the pups are out on the hunt 24/7 so if you can get out go its the best calling of the year as far as numbers coming to the call.
wish i had my deer and everyones elk out of the way so i could do more calling.
we need to orgenize a jack rabbit hunt here they are eating every blade of grass to nothing. even the deer and horses are showing signs of starvation and winter hasn't even started.

As far as I'm concerned, full moon, no moon, rain or snow, if I'm in the woods, it's a good stand!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back