New Howa need scope mounts

Squeeze

Last night, I won a Howa 1500, in .22-250 Rem, in their new
Varmint series. It is a SS/Synthetic stocked heavy barrel
rifle, and I need to get a scope on it. My question is, does
the Leupold 1 piece base, for the Rem. 700 RH/SA
fit on this rifle. I know the Leupold 1 piece base, for the
Rem. 700 RH/LA fits on a Howa 1500 RH/LA, but nowhere I have
looked, lists a one piece base for Howa SA's.

Anyway, thanks for any guidence you may provide on the Leupold
1 piece SA mount.

Squeeze

My brief search says no.
Try here:
Legacy Sports
4750 Longley Lane, Suite 208
Reno, NV 89502
Ph: (775) 828-0555
Fax: (775) 828-0565
Office Hours – 8:00am to 5:00pm PST

I think you're out of luck on the SA. Here's what leupy lists for the 1500 in 1 piece.

STD - 700 Long Range RH-LA (1 piece)
Gloss: not available
Matte: part #51732
Silver: part #51733

STD - 700 RH-LA (1 piece)
Gloss: part #50003
Matte: part #50004
Silver: not available

I think the Weaver Grand Slam, part #48913 will do though.

I have the 1500 Varmit Supreme (I think) it is the one with a stainless action/bull barrel and the black vented composite stock.

Mine is a .243 Winchester, and I put a Leupold 50004 One piece base for a Rem 700 RH-LA STD on it, with medium rings. I could not get my scope to adjust high enough and ended up putting .010" shim under the back of the base. It has been working great, I think I will replace the scope with one with more travel or get the Burris shim rings. But it shoots so good I hate to mess it up. With factory Winchester ammo it will put thre shots in a quarter time after time, then I will pull a flyer.
Sorry so long winded. I think you will like the Howa.
Oh, yeah, the rear of the base only has one screw in it, which I am not crazy about.

Hi,Howa was makeing the Vangaurd for Weatherby.The 1500 was made by S/W and then by Mossbger.And now by Howa.What kind of scope do you have on it ? Thanks Clint.

I'm probably adding to the confusion, but I feel this will at least confirm the Howa/Weatherby connection.

I just bought a set of Burris 2 piece bases for a Rem 700 LA. In the bubble pack there was a small shim and a note saying these bases would work for a Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vangard by using the shim under the rear base.

The exact wording is...

"Howa made receivers including the 1500 series and Weatherby Vangard use the same scope mounting base as the Remington 700. On many Howa made receivers the rear receiver bridge is slightly lower than that of a Remington. The supplied shim should be installed beneath the rear base for the best scope alignment."

Maybe this will help you.

Bacova

The shim measures .015, if you want it I'll send it to you. Maybe you could use it under the rear of a Rem 700 one piece base. The screw holes allow for variations. I don't know if it'll work on a one piece or not, but you're welcome to it.

Last edited:
Back