Fleshing beam?

SAMADDY

Hey all,

I did a search and didnt come up with anything on fleshing beam. Does anyone know where i can find some plans? Thanks!

Samaddy,
I was just looking at some today at Sportsman Warehouse and on the internet. Don't know of any plans but the ones I looked at were 2"x8"x 48" or 60". The tops were rounded down to witin 1/2" of the lower edge and the front was about 3/4" tapering out about 18" to the full width. Hope this helps. Just type trapping supplies on google search engine and you can find of picture of one to go buy. Good Luck.
Gary

Im going to make one here in November. I heard that it is best if you get a knife that matches the beam or visa versa in this case. So Id consider getting your knife than forming the beam to the same curve as the knife roughly. Im also considering not getting a knife and trying a paint scraper or something similar and in that case i think I might just cut it to roughly the shape of a stretcher and then router the corners. I just got finished making up 2 tail strippers beacause I did not want to place an order just for one. Also the next project is stretches out of SS so im not bothered by rust. Post your beams when you get them made.

You can purchase a very nice fleshing beam for under 40 bucks. I like to make stuff my self, but after using a homemade beam for many years I finally broke down and ordered a fiberglass beam. I am kicking my self for not doing it sooner. You would not believe the difference it makes. It is so much easier to do the job. As stated before the size of knife you use makes a difference as well. I like to use a smaller 2 handle knife for most fur. Some of my fur I just use an old case knife or a single handle "square" knife.

If you do make you own beam please share pictures with us.

it won't let me see,said i must be loged in to use search engine,i am logged in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifAAAAAAAAAA

Dont know what to tell you . I just did a search using Fleshing Beam as the search topic. Changed the New Than date to 0 months, and it spit out 88 posts.

Thanks guys for all the input if i do build my own i will post pics. Crapshoot i must have not changed the date thanks for the schooling.

Built this one afternoon. It is all pine. 2x6. Some prefer wider, some narrower. Seems to do the trick. Hardwood I wouldn't worry about sealing. I went over this with boiled lindseed oil to give it some protection.

4.jpg

1e17793a.jpg

Hal Sullivan has a book out called "Fur Handling 2000" it has all the information you need to put up fur. He also has plans for a great fleshing beam. I made one and just made a scaled down version for packing in my pickup. I think he also has a video version.

I used a piece of slab wood about6', 8" wide and about 2" thick. Peeled the bark off and tapered the end with a draw knife. I use my draw knife as a fleshing tool, also. I nailed a couple of pieces of 2x4 to the underside to make a "saddle" about 3" wide to slide down over the beam of a saw horse so it doesn't move around while you are working. I just but the bottom end under a railroad tie surounding "lovies" flower garden. Nuthin fancy, but works good.

Back