Possom Knifing

Charon

After reading some of the posts below I just had to add this one. Ive tried it twice while out spotlighting. Pretty fun, but I was wondering If anyone else has participated in the budding sport of possom knifing. Hey, maybe Ive started a new trend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got a buddy who got bit by a possum because he was fiddle farting around too close to its mouth being a macho hunter guy. He told me later that the round of rabies shots and the giant Mickey Mouse hand he got from the infected bite were both a tad bit unpleasant. Takes a lot to teach some people, I guess. Not a whole lota sport in knifing an animal that plays dead when it's threatened.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
trashcan

Well I don't think hunting and Machismo nesseccarly go hand in hand, its usually anti's think so. But I also have to bring up that if I said that I knifed a hog, or even clunked a bull frog in the head would the respose be the same? Is that sport? Some might think they are one in the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There have been a bunch of times that I wished a possum played dead as I approached it. Not the case 100% of the time in my experience. When you get close to them buggers and there threatened, they want to fight.

I don't want to come off on the wrong foot here but I feel that it is not the same when comparing sticking a hog that can cut you to pieces and knifeing a small anomal that will and does play dead. What is the reasoning?
I don't and will not argue with anyone about how or what they hunt but for "ME" personally... I do not feel comfortable killing an animal that I have no use for after I have taken its life. I am in no way a tree hugging, PETA advocate. I just feel that if you are hunting and takeing an animals life (I FEEL) that you should have some sort of use for it.
Like I stated earlier so that no-one misunderstands what I am saying... If, and when I kill it, I will have some sort of use for it wheather I sell the skin, eat the meat, or want to have it mounted. I feel that we need to respect nature and not only kill it, but leave it to do whatever it was put here on earth for.
Please don't take no offence this is just my opinion.
Thanks for your time, and good luck hunting!
SC Predator Hunter

Charon my man, by no means am I an anti! And by no means am I the deciding factor in "knifing" a possum , lord knows how many possums I've killed with a brass club and or standing on their rib cages till they expire when trapping. And yes, I know they can fight like buggers when they decide to stop playing dead, but to knife them? It just seems odd to me, but by no means am I the be all end all in the art or process of killing anything in a manner you personaly prefer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not real big on knifing pigs either but hey whatever floats your boat. You see I know how it sounds because I constantly take flak for my hatred and eradication methods of domestic/feral k9s(livestock runners). I have an intense dislike for their kind due to a sheep/money issue when I was younger and probably the only method I haven't used on them is knifing. So don't misunderstand me on the possum knifing issue all I'm saying is " A Possum, why a possum?" . Peace.
Trashcan

BTW don't get bit, the shots are in the backside now but they still HURTTT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Charon: just how do you go about this? What size blade do you use? Is it a lock blade folder or a fixed? Need more details! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Trashcan: I'm w/ ya on the feral dogs. Nothing I hate more.
I'll knife 'em, strangle, stomp 'em, whatever it takes. I've even had dreams of strangling & knifing coyotes.

Trashcan,
Sorry if I came off offensive and now I see your point of view better.The last thing I want to do is have enemies on a web sight I love so much! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I do however think dead is dead wheather its by rifle, knife, club, rock, whatever kinda what you said about how youve done your possoms in. I also ment it to be kinda funny at the same time. I have been invited on some pig sticking adventures and I will judge that after I have tried it once. As far as Possom knifing goes the two that I have killed this way didnt play possom, like Soreloser said thay wanted to fight. I used a 4 inch lockback on both and both were killed on the same night some years back. I bought a longer knife from Atlanta Cutlery for this but have yet to use it. And come on guys, youve never tried possom with grits!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Never tried 'possum w/ grits & hope I never become so hungrey or drunk that I would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OMG, this is so offensive to me as the owner or two pet possums! Nah, I'm just joking. I like my possums as much as I enjoy hunting all their brethren. I guess its like people who have a slaughterhouse and then have a pet pig or something. But I think it to be slightly amusing yes, but I usually dont try to advocate the killing of them. We have tons around this house along with mine but I usually just trap and relocate them, rarely shooting them b/c as some have mentioned I have no use for them dead. Alive, they dont hurt anything really, upset my lab alittle bit and decorate the road. Mine do a good job of rodent control. I would like to stick a boar though.

we went to the fair and they had a possom rescue group and while we were standing there a lady asked " how long do they live?" so i say about half way across the road!! many gasps and grandma drags me away!!lol i thought it was a great !!! we have a ton of them in los angeles area..

Possom and grits?? That's just plain disgusting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now BBQ dillo with rice and beans, THAT'S some fine eatin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

COme on guys if you barbeque them they taste just like smoked ham. I eat coon to when I'm back home but unfortunately I have seen only one coon in Kali and I wasn't home so my wife just took a picture of it or its goose would have been cooked.

Fordtruckguy,
Several years back me and a buddy shot a possom at night in a grapefruit grove that was full of babies. We did away with all of them but one. Not thinking that it would last long was going to kill it but instead my friend opted to take it home to his little sisters. "Squeaks" found some kind hearts right away and lived in the house for about six months. One of his cats would even let Squeaks ride on her back! He died suddenly though in the sock drawer where they kept him.

Quote:
SCpredatorhunter, I'd be willing to send you the products of my next prairie dog hunt!!

Aw, what the heck. I'll throw in my ground squirrels, wood chucks, crows and jack rabbits. Now you can have a real smorgasbord. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And if I ever go back to shootin' rats at the dump, you can have them, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have no interest in knifing a possum, nor do I care if anyone does, but...

Years ago a common teenage prank was to catch a possum and shut them up in peoples mailboxes, so I've heard.

I also heard about one particularly enthusiastic teenager who chased said critters down the road bank to catch them. I also recall hearing about said teenager slipping IN and falling ON the highly decomposed magget mounded dog carcase.

I have it from a reliable source that nothing smells worse than highly decomposed magget mounded dog carcass.

I have it from a reliable source that riding naked (because you threw away your stinking clothes) in the trunk is not fun, even on a warm summer night.

I also have it from a reliable source that said teenager has not molested a possum in well over 30 years.

JoeF,sorry you had to ride in the trunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The opossum is a carrier of Equine Protozoal Myletis (EPM), an extremely painful disease that attacks the horses spinal cord,which is incurable and fatal.

I have horses and will euthanize any opossum found on or near our property.

Doug

Never heard of possum knifing. But we used to go possum puntin'. This is where you drive around back roads after dark, catch a possum in the headlights, while he is stunned and vehicle stopped or sometimes slowly rolling, one or more people jump out and kick him till he plays dead. About 99% of the time they won't hiss or buck up unless cornered. I've had one buddy throw three possums in the back of his truck that were playing dead. One by one they climbed up on the tailgate and sort of fell off going down the road. They just hit the ground and rolled. Anyway it's up to the punter to decide what happens with said possum after it has been punted. And yes as mentioned above, some possums were stuck in mailboxes of high school bullies or jerks. It's funny, after a possom sits in a mailbox all night long he's not real happy in the morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

On one of our late-night, teenage, excursions. One of my best friends noticed his "gal" makin' out with some other guy in a town not far from where we live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. She drove a little Honda Civic which she always left unlocked. Well we sort of beat her home that night and "found" her car in a wal-mart parking lot. We of course took back roads and managed to "find" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif two nice possums playing dead. Once back to the location of his vehicle. The same as his girlfriends vehicle. He put the two possums in her back seat. She even called my friend the one who put them in there, to come and help, she allegedly found the critters when she "got off work" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. He of course being with me didn't answer the phone and recieved the frantic voicemail instead. Turns out the guy who brought her back to her car called the Sherrif's office /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. What was even more amazing was the the responding officer hunts deer with us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, and knew who she was; and that the gentleman standing with her wasn't her boy. We got a call from the officer, he must have gotten out of sight. He told us of the situation and that we were written all over it. We told him the truth about what had went down that night. He laughed so hard he couldn't talk, collected himself, then told us never to put him in a spot like that again, and to stay put and await his call. We met up later tears of laughter dried on his face, he said the possums tore the heck out that car. All along she still couldn't figure out who she could've made mad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. He also said the entire sherrif's department and dispatch office got quite a laugh. After that night we quit Possum Punting for quite some time. We were very lucky things played out as they did. The following day my friend told his girl that he just wanted to be friends. Funny it didn't seem to bother her at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back