New Phantom & New To Calling!

Predator Driven

I just recieved a new Phantom from my wife for Christmas and am excited to start hunting coyotes with it. What are the sequences and durations some of you use that seem to be working? Thanks from a new Predator Hunter in Oregon!

I just got a phantom for christmas to and I tried it for the second time last night and called some in. I waited until dark and than did a rabbit in distress for about 3 minutes off and on. Then I did a howl after about five minuts, then some more rabbit a few minutes after the howl. Had a couple come up to around 100 yards but I couldnt get a shot in the dark. Good luck-

Thanks man I am excited to get out and try it! I have a new customized ruger 10/22 coming in three weeks and am going to use that for the dogs! I also got a spot light for night hunting but have to get the red filter and then I'm ready for that! Have you gotten any coyotes before?

Good Luck with the caller, it'll serve you well no doubt. The 10/22 might be a little weak in the knees for dogs though, shot placement is gonna be extremely important, don't want em suffering. Even a 22mag is barely if not at all proper for coyotes...but then I also used a 10/22 back in the 70's along with a Marlin 30/30 to hunt coyotes. I've seen the results of a boogered up shot and would never go that route again...
biggrin.gif

Good Luck and have fun!
Bob

Predator Driven - Please leave the 22lr at home when hunting coyotes or even fox. Not enough for positive kills. I'd like to think that we predator hunters and especially us coyote hunters respect our prefered quarry enough to ensure that alttle or no suffering takes place during the kill.

Michael

hey Pred Driven-
I have an insanely customized 10/22 too but I am not sure on its knock down power, thats why I have have a couple banana clips. I also carry a 44 mag back up. If you find any sucessful sequences post em on the board.

Predator Driven-
Glad to have you, and good luck with your new caller! I'm not sure that using a 10/22 LR on coyotes is a good idea though. With a "perfect" shot, you should be able to kill an elephant with one. However, there aren't many "perfect" shots when hunting coyotes. There are too many variables, too many things that can and usually do happen to prevent the perfect shot. By all means, keep your 10/22. There isn't a better rifle for hunting squirrels, plinking, etc. But for coyotes, you really need a centerfire rifle in .17 caliber or greater, or a shotgun, or handgun (centerfire).

Good luck to you!
Muss

Congratulations on the PHANTOM!!!
I got mine months ago and it can and will do the job!
Good luck with the .22LR, no offense but it really takes a good shot and just a little bigger gun to bring down the smallest of coyotes. But if you are intent on using it make sure you have some good ammo, CCI Stingers or my personal favorite for rabbits are the Aguila Super maximum Hyper velocity, they are 30 gr h.p. that travel at about 1600 fps. I have never tried them on coyotes but they do bad things to rabbits.

I know about the 22LR not being an ideal caliber for Coyotes. However I hunt with a bow for big game and love the small calibers especially airguns. This is my first rimfire and since I am acustomed to shooting animals at 40 yards and closer this was the reason for my use of the 22LR. I was thinking of using my 14 lb lone wolf tree stand to get up 25-30 ft in a tree with the speaker out 25 yards from the base of my tree. I will only take head shots as I pride myself on accuracy. I too believe that a quick and humane kill is the only way to hunt. I ahve in years past taken many Blacktailed deer heer in Oregon by shooting them with a .223! I sit in trees all day and slip the 55gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws right behind their ears. Nothing goes down quicker and so should the Yotes! Hence my need to know a call sequence that might work a general purpose sequence if you will!

Predator Driven - Please believe me we all consider our selves to be great shots and ethical hunters. This is not deer hunting, variables are not as well controled. I can not say it enough. Please leave your super accurate 22lr at home, coyote hunting is not the place to show how good a shot you are with an under powered (for this purpose) cartridge like a 22lr. Also I understand the parallel you are trying to draw between shooting a deer with a 223 and a 22lr. There is a HUGE difference between a 223 and a 22lr no matter how you stack it up. I know that you may believe that I'm piling up on you over this, maybe I am, I simply do not believe that except for some VERY special situations a 22lr should be used on coyote sized anything.

Michael

Micheal,
I respect your opinon and views. However, with a well placed head shot with the 22LR every dog will go down! If it (The 22LR) is used to kill cattle with a skull much more dense and thick than that of a coyote then I feel it should be fine for a coyotes. As for accuracy I don't shoot just to shoot as I am selective in my trigger pulls. I bet you aren't with the high power stuff because you just anticipate blowing the back half off of them! You probably shoot farther than 200 yrds at them too!? Is this hunting or target shooting? I believe up close and personal "Hunting" is true hunting. Snipers in Vietnam used 22LR to take out sentries was that to small for the task they had?

Predator Driven - You are making several assumptions that are not correct. I hope that you don't slip. I hope that the coyote doesn't dip his head at the wrong moment. I hope that you don't tick a branch that you don't see. I hope several things don't happen that can slightly alter the path of your bullet and sends a coyote off to die with a bullet in his guts. I hope that it won't happen to any of the coyotes that you want to kill with great precision, but it will and I'm sorry for it.

Michael

when i was younger thats all i took my ypotes down with was a 22 ruger lr and i even took my first deer with one behing the shoulder it doesnt take that much they wont go far if there hit behind the shoulder if there bouncin on the ground just hit them again good luck man and i love 22lr !

I agree with predator driven. I bowhunt and handgun hunt and i know to shoot only when I have a perfect shot, and a .22 can drop a coyote ever time if you shoot it perfectly. I think that you would have more success if you used a higher powered rifle that is accurate I would use that instead though, like one of the .22 centerfires or any high powered rifle because you dont have to wait for a absolutly perfect close range shot. When I do use a .22 I wait for close shots and I'd put it right between thier eyes.

Adding my $.02
wink.gif

I use .22LR for california ground squirrels in the summer and have seen them, amazingly, run with a bullet in them. I personally don't think I would take a first shot at a coyote with a .22LR because of that knowledge. It's a different story for finishing them off, though I never have had to.

In my hunting situations I am the last thing that coyote sees because when I hit them at close range they go down NOW! I use a 12 guage with #4 buck.

------------------
Matt/Spinner

Back